Why become a member? ×

ESP Bass - just a thought

Hope this isn't against forum rules but anyway, [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1984-ESP-Japan-Horizon-Bass-P-Style-Fender-Tweed-Case-/301336252522?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item46290a506a"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1984-ESP-Japan-Horizon-Bass-P-Style-Fender-Tweed-Case-/301336252522?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item46290a506a[/url] is a bass I sold for £10 less than I paid for it (around 300/350 I think) - as an experienced bass player, I can honestly say it is not worth this sort of money!! Looks like profiteering to me, or I didnt know what I had but, pricewise, it seems to match 2nd hand warwicks and stingrays, and it certainly does not match those.

I suggest a haggle. You've got to.

[quote name='jgmh315' timestamp='1413095561' post='2574799']
I sold an MTD a few weeks ago and it's now back up at nearly double the price!
[/quote] this makes me sad, I'm not sure that would have happened on Basschat a couple of years back.
EDIT: just checked and don't think it was on here you sold it?

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1413098571' post='2574812']
this makes me sad, I'm not sure that would have happened on Basschat a couple of years back.
EDIT: just checked and don't think it was on here you sold it?
[/quote]

No you're correct, not on here. It was ebay.

In your OP you compared the asking price to second hand Warwicks. How would you compare the ESP to something like this Corvette?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARWICK-CORVETTE-BASS-5-STRING-natural-made-in-GERMANY-active-pickups-/261621063116?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3ce9d49dcc

(I was tempted to post the Corvette in this forum before - seems a good price to me - but I don't know how much Corvettes go for and I note that this is still not sold).

Well, most Warwicks are pretty good. I used to own a Thumb for some years. Bottom line is that I understand people buy stuff to sell on for a bit extra, totally up to them, but the ESP is what it is - a copy of a retro fender with an ok but not versatile sound. The Warwick would defo be better sonically but obviously it depends upon what you look for.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1413193145' post='2575566']
Going back to the OP, it appears to be a shop/business selling it so don't see any issue. I do appreciate the warning that it is not worth it and is being sold for way more than they paid for it privately, however but that's what shops do, isn't it?
[/quote]
True, it's called "speculation". You can't blame him for trying. He might even get excitement now from the number of watchers. :D