Why become a member? ×

precision bass tone

garry warrington

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1413030216' post='2574325']
According to my PM exchange with Ki0gon the cap is a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vintage Sprague 0.1. Have to say that that doesn't mean a lot to me, save that Ki0gon advised it would give a "vintage old school" tone - which it does! [/font][/color]
[/quote]

A larger value capacitor, in your case roughly double the value of what's often found inside a P bass (0.047uF), will cut a lot more treble when you close the tone control.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1412871556' post='2572876']
There`s certainly some sort of effect.drive on Should I Stay, as Simenons bass tone for most of his other work is a lot different. Much warmer, traditional P-Bass sound. He was a flats user so maybe on this track they just upped the treble or mids a lot more which enabled the drive to come through.

Essentially it`s some sort of valve-grind that gives a lot of the sound on that track though, so depends on what the amp can do - maybe some sort of pre-amp pedal would do it, my Tech 21 VT DI can certainly do that sort of sound with a P-Bass strung with flats.
[/quote]

Yes, agree.
If you listen to the isolated bass, lot's of compression and gate on it as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC2xf4cOKSs

If your pickup's are doing that without overdrive or full on valve distortion, I'd say there is something wrong!

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1413030216' post='2574325']

According to my PM exchange with Ki0gon the cap is a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vintage Sprague 0.1. Have to say that that doesn't mean a lot to me, save that Ki0gon advised it would give a "vintage old school" tone - which it does! [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Tough call on the pickups. The SPB1 is great, but I was replacing a generic pickup that had been fitted years ago. The US Vintage pickups fitted to my Japanese 70s P reissue were excellent, and I'm not sure the Seymour Duncans would have been a significant improvement.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1413041786' post='2574459']

I'm in much the same process as you are! I've got John's 0.1uf cap, think it's the pacer cap? And I've got some TI flats now just need to decide if a pickup change is what I want as well or whether to try the strings and wiring with the stock MIM pickup or not! I know what pickup I'll be using if I do change it, I'm gonna go for an Aguilar AG4P60
[/quote]

Yes, KiOgon sensibly suggested that I try the replacement wiring and new strings before investing in pickups. I would like to get the bass sorted in one go but I could be wasting money if I don't take this advice. Not found many reports on the pure vintage 58s either.
Darren

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1413052624' post='2574572']

Yes, KiOgon sensibly suggested that I try the replacement wiring and new strings before investing in pickups. I would like to get the bass sorted in one go but I could be wasting money if I don't take this advice. Not found many reports on the pure vintage 58s either.
Darren
[/quote]
I know what you mean Darren, I wanna get mine all done at the same time but thinking now, that I'll just do what I have and see where that leaves me tonally!

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1413010193' post='2574028']
Last night I did a pub gig through a mark bass rig on a P bass with my old flats on it, Eq all flat

2 other gigging bassists in the crowd , both where saying they loved the tone

Must admit , so do I
[/quote]

Due to other references in the thread I'm also adding my Kiogon wiring loom to the spec list of the bass mentioned above.

Couldn't be happier with my tone