Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Superfly way to quiet

DSGW1

I played a pub gig the other day - not a huge space, but the noise I produced with my Gretsch Broadkaster through an Ashdown Superfly with an ashdown 15" cab was almost non existent. I spent most of the gig fiddling with the dials and then ended up grabbing my mate's unnamed active during the break, which made it marginally better.

Could it be the phase and a conflict between PA and Amp?

We had piano and two acoustics (played like electrics) through the PA.

I used the same set up at rehearsal the other day, but with a hartke 4X10 transporter cab and it was OK.

Edited by DSGW1

There was s thread on TB I think for a mod to get a bit more gain from the preamp on the Superfly. I will look for it and get back to you.

OK I have found it but there is no circuit diagram/schematic. http://vissinger.org/pages/SuperFlyMods.html

I will do some more checking,back soon!

Edited by Chienmortbb

There are two variables here, the cab and the venue. The acoustics in some venues are appalling. Low frequencies are hard enough to hear clearly at the best of times but if you are shoved into a highly reverberant space with a not very lively speaker which is pointed at your legs not your ears then you won't hear anything, even though it may be fine for the audience.

OK the Superfly spec is officially 2 x 250W into 8 ohms. However the chips used in the Superfly are actually not good for 250W. They are bridged TDA 8927s and thet are good for about 180 watts each into 8 ohms.

Ironically they don't give much more than 110W into 4 ohms so best keep the cabs to 8 ohms. I will look at the rest of the circuit later to see where you might get some gain back.

I thought it was 2x250 into 4 ohms, 2x175 into 8 ohms. And, indeed, doing a quick google, Ashdown's website agrees with me (and it was them that told me it was 2x175 into 8 ohms).

There is a Superduperfly, the 1000W version, which has an internal fan and runs nice and cool.

The Superfly is not real powerful. I got one and it sounded good in my living room . The presets were many good tones and the compressor gave interesting sounds. I got another 'Fly when they closed out . With a band it did not put out any more sound than a MAG 300. Get two cabinets to use both output sections. Good Luck. The new Rootmaster is better.

Edited by grenadilla