Why become a member? ×

Ashdown advice needed......ABM 4x8 Neo

jonnythenotes

Have any of you had any experience of the Ashdown ABM neo 408 speaker enclosures? They look pretty tidy, and they are certainly not what you would call cheap, at around £700 a pop, but sometimes price does not reflect whether something is fit for purpose. I suffered a back injury 3 years ago which forced me into a downsize programme...anything from lighter guitars..... individual speakers and amps instead of combos..... D class amps instead of the old 20kg monsters....all this to reduce weight, and therefore the risk of a knackered back again. Speakers are usually the the heaviest items in our armoury, and that is what I am trying to sort out now. I am a funk man thru and thru, and as such, I am looking for the mid to top side of what a cab can do. Also a quick snap back, ready for the next note, as opposed to the bigger speakers such as 15's which are fantastic at rearranging your intestines. Not too worried about volume either as the P.A will take care of that side of things if out front volume is needed. To me personally, it is all about note definition and that very vague, and over used word 'punch'. I am looking at 2 of these cabs, and they will be driven by an Ampeg PF 500 amp. So, if you can help...( if poss, be specific to the ABM 408 neo,) I will be extremely grateful...( Be great to see some You Tube links of them being demo'd if you know of any...) Thanks Guys....Mucho Grassyarse

I owned the older Mini 48 & 15 cabs before they introduced the Neo ranges, and to be honest, the only real issue I had with them is that they was rear ported.
Now they've sorted that out and front-ported them, I think it would be a pretty killer cab!

Si

I had one of the non-neo 4x8 cabs that had been retrofitted with the neo speakers, it was a great sounding cab and not too weighty at 20kg, but for the price of the new cabs you have a huge range of even lighter cabs,I went over to barefaced cabs, a pair of midgets that together weigh less than the one ashdown and one midget will easily out perform my old ashdown. For 700 quid there is a huge range of very light cabs available.

Matt

The second hand 408s at bass direct (mentioned above) look like a good deal? I have the 210 versions from the same ABM NEO range and they are exceptionally nice cabs - using two of them together sounds immense. They're are easy enough to carry due to the top handle and being quite slim, although 20kg is about as heavy as I'm comfortable with these days!

Well I picked the two cabs up today from Bass Direct...Very frustrated as I cant try em out for a few days. I have 3 different basses, and it will be interesting to see how they all sound....A Wood and Tronics EJ4, A Yamaha BB20024x and a Mike Lull 5 string........ Fingers crossed.. and thanks again chaps for your input...It really was that advice which made me go for them..