Why become a member? ×

Impressed by Ampeg Micro VR / 210AV

Beer of the Bass

I spent this afternoon recording a couple of tracks with a friend who's been visiting from the US for a few weeks. I had a look at the studio's choice of house amps and ended up playing through an Ampeg Micro VR and 210AV. I'm rather surprised by how much I enjoyed the sound of this rig, as I'd thought they looked like a bit of a gimmick like those miniature solid-state Marshall stacks.
The head has the EQ centres in useful places, as I can turn the mids up without it sounding boxy and the soft clipping when the gain is turned up is nicely done, but I suspect it was the cab which I was really getting into. The interesting thing for me was that while I could hear the low end roll-off that comes from a small sealed cab, it didn't sound like I expected it to from having heard it described. Rather than sounding thin, it came across as pleasantly tight and even and had plenty of lows for the type of sound I go for. The upper mids and highs were cool too, I presume there's some sort of presence peak going on which it turns out I find pleasing.
I don't know what the drivers in there are, but I guess they're relatively humble ceramic jobs. I'm not about to dash out and buy one at the minute, but it was educational in figuring out what my low-end requirements really are...

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Those cabs are really nice sounding little cabs indeed. I had one, paired with an SVT410HE. Because the same amount of power went to each the 210 would break up quite nicely, giving a good driven sound, whilst the 410 would stay quite clean. Was a balancing act though, had to be careful to not push to the point of no return.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1411334688' post='2558595']
I have two of those cabs - ironically you can't use two of them with the Micro VR head as it makes it produce nasty popping/cracking noises so I use them with an Orange Terror Bass instead!
[/quote]

Never noticed that with my Micro VR and 2 cabs. Is this a common problem then?

Yeah, there's a big thread on Talkbass dedicated to it. The amp is fine with other 2x 8ohm cab combinations, but distorts in a bad way when used with a pair of the cabs that were designed to go with it!

I bought a new Micro VR head about a year ago and it had issue so returned it.