Why become a member? ×

Essex's best kept secret.

JohnnyLightyear

I'm not sure if I should be telling you this but...

... there is a little corner of Chelmsford that is home to one of the best live music nights you will find anywhere. ANYWHERE!

The band is called The Fellowship, and the gig is every, or at least most, Thursdays at the Bassment in Chelmsford. They play a couple of hours of jazz/funk/fusion, which normally includes the tunes from the likes of Joshua Redman, Mike Stearn, Chick Corea, as well as their own original material, however they'll throw in all manner of styles and quotes. As far as I can tell its been the same line up for years. A collection of top players who are based in the area and are playing for the love of the night. The standard line up is Zak Barret on Sax, Guthrie Govan on guitar, Pete Riley on drums, Seth Govan on bass and a keyboard player whose name tragically I can't find (sorry, but its always the keyboard player who gets short changed!).

What is staggering is the level of musicianship across the band, and the communication and togetherness with which they play. Granted they have been at it for years and much of the material they play is well known to them, however, at all times the performances are complex, dynamic, exciting, frightening and above all stimulating. The partnership between Guthrie and Zak is boardering on telepathic, such is the interplay and level of trading which takes place, and Riley on drums is ridiculously good. Guthrie was described as the scariest guitarist alive today in one review I read. Anyone interested in shred in general should check him out [url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfmfuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=102145560"]here[/url] if they haven't already. He gets wicked reviews from Satriani, Dweezil Zappa, Ron Thal, Richie Kotzen etc. He simply has total freedom on the instrument, which one cannot say about too many players at gigs of this astounding intimacy. The venue is small and sound enormous, the beer is cheap and the music unbelievable. It should be compulsory for musicians within 100 miles to see these guys play at some point, and yet it seems to be only local Chelmsford regulars who turn up.

Anyone who has been to the gig I'm sure will recognise my enthusiasm, anyone who hasn't been should go!

hahaha i moved away when i was 18 to go to uni but im chelmsford through and through.

Since they shut the Army and Navy and them gigs this was the only decent night out. (bitterscene was sometimes good if thats still going)
outstanding, there was a group of us from school who went ever now and then (boswells before you ask) "better than sex" as Brian in the year above put it.

The only down side is this amazing jazz funk that everybody sits and watches in a chin stroking type way. WHat? Musics fae dancing too!

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='254732' date='Aug 4 2008, 05:59 PM']hahaha i moved away when i was 18 to go to uni but im chelmsford through and through.

Since they shut the Army and Navy and them gigs this was the only decent night out. (bitterscene was sometimes good if thats still going)
outstanding, there was a group of us from school who went ever now and then (boswells before you ask) "better than sex" as Brian in the year above put it.

The only down side is this amazing jazz funk that everybody sits and watches in a chin stroking type way. WHat? Musics fae dancing too![/quote]

hahahahaha imagine the dancing to one of guthrie's face melters!!!

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='254794' date='Aug 4 2008, 07:27 PM']see in edinburgh there uset to be a jazz fun night called fleamarket funk which played similar music but was all about dancing. bassment is a bit different!

oh and if i remeber rightly its good beer too[/quote]

Hmmm I remember Fleamarket Funk from my student days in Edinburgh- was it in cabaret voltaire?

Ooh, I'm moving to Chelmsford at the end of this month so I shall have to pop along. How do I find out if it's on a particular Thursday, and where's this Bassment place?

Also, any PMs of good local venues and listings I should check out would be greatfully received. I grew up in Southend (18 years), but have spent the last 10 years in Norwich, so I'm a little distanced from the current scene. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='peted' post='256247' date='Aug 6 2008, 01:30 PM']Ooh, I'm moving to Chelmsford at the end of this month so I shall have to pop along. How do I find out if it's on a particular Thursday, and where's this Bassment place?

Also, any PMs of good local venues and listings I should check out would be greatfully received. I grew up in Southend (18 years), but have spent the last 10 years in Norwich, so I'm a little distanced from the current scene. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Find Chelmsford Rail Station. Walk under the bridge with the stn on the right. Dead opposite the Bus Stn is a side road (on the right). The venue is along there on the right, one premises from the end IIRC. MIND THE STEPS!!!!!

[quote name='neilb' post='256510' date='Aug 6 2008, 05:29 PM']Find Chelmsford Rail Station. Walk under the bridge with the stn on the right. Dead opposite the Bus Stn is a side road (on the right). The venue is along there on the right, one premises from the end IIRC. MIND THE STEPS!!!!![/quote]

What's parking like there? Been playing a trip with my guitarist for a while now.

Cheers
Alun