Why become a member? ×

Recommendations: Kids Guitar

Skybone

My wee lad is after a guitar for Christmas, so the boss has asked me to look into it.

He's got a short scale el-cheapo nylon strung acoustic (that's been superglued back together a few times!), and lets just say that what he lacks in ability, he more than makes up for in enthusiasm... Though he does keep saying that he wants a bass. :)

AFAIK, the boss is trying to line up some guitar lessons for him, but I need to find a suitable instrument for him to use, but also which will be a decent "investment" (meaning more that it should last him a few years at least). So, I was thinking of something along the lines of a 3/4 scale guitar.

Anyone got any recommendations (types/brands/etc)?

The choices seem to be pretty limited to either mainly Strat-like clones, a few Tele-a-likes and LP-a-likes. I like the look of the Epiphone EB LP (simple and sturdy), or should I consider a Strat/Tele (hard tail versions) as well?

How wee? My youngest (now 12 but was 11 when we bought it), chose a Washburn (cannot remember the model number) after trying various guitars. It is a 'metal' style twin bucker, fixed bridge. Nice and light (thin well contoured basswood body) and with a good sound. She has been very happy with it.

My 11-year old is learning on a Squier Vintage Modified Mustang:
http://www.fender.com/en-GB/squier/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-mustang-rosewood-fingerboard-vintage-white/

He loves it and I love it too - in fact am currently finding it more fun to play than my own Les Paul! The neck in particular is really top notch - amazingly good for a sub £300 guitar. The only bad thing about it is the bridge saddles, which rattled like billy-o. I took it to our local luthier who swapped it out for a proper Fender Mustang bridge - only cost about £20, and elevated the guitar from a good cheapie to something really rather special. I am sure my son will be playing this one for many years to come - but if he ever decides to sell it, I will be first in the queue to buy it off him!

How wee? He's 7, but quite tall for his age, which is why I think that a 3/4 scale would be better for him, and also that it'd last a few years as well.

Had a look at the Harley Benton strat-a-like starter kits at Thomann, seems to look like a decent bit of kit (and should withstand a bit of battering too). Showed it to the boss, but she reckons he'd be better off with an acoustic, and that a teacher would prefer him to use an acoustic. I think it wouldn't matter what he played, so long as he was willing, though an acoustic may well be "quieter" when he's "practicing".

Seen a few 3/4 scale acoustics that look half decent in the price range, though a bit concerned about the depth of the body. If someone did a cheap thinline acoustic, that would be an excellent "half-way house".

Thanks for the input. :)

I think most teachers will teach whatever guitar most encourages the kid to learn. If your kid is rock orientated, then I am sure an electric will be better for that. If they like acoustic artists, then acoustic would probably be the best bet. Both of my girls are more 'rocky', so they have moved over to electric - although the youngest is now thinking about having a new full size (probably parlour) acoustic for Xmas.

TBH, I don't think he knows what he wants (apart from making a noise)! :D

He does like a bit of rock and a bit of acoustic stuff to, from Nickelback (I know...) to Newton Faulkner, pretty much anything we might have on in the car, though I must say, he's not that keen on Pop (where his sister likes One D, The Vamps & other such pre-teen marketed Pop).

I think the next step would be to find a guitar tutor willing to teach him, and discuss it with them.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1409905822' post='2544413']
I think the next step would be to find a guitar tutor willing to teach him, and discuss it with them.
[/quote]

Might be worth seeing if your local authority has a school music scheme (for example, we have DASP in Dorset). This scheme then arranges for various music tutors to go to local schools and sets an agreed lesson rate per pupil in the session. We have this scheme from Primary School right up to Upper Schools.

• 2 months later...