Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tone Hammer 350 - not the slapper's choice?

Matte_black

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1410596802' post='2551062']
TH 500 user here. If you can't get the bass sound you want out of the Tone Hammer, then what you have in your head is not a bass sound :P

Plug your TH 350 into good sensitive cabinets and you'll be in tone heaven.
[/quote]

Coming from an Aguilar endorser, I understand this statement - which doesn't make too much sense.

If you don't like the Aguilar baked in tone, you will not like the TH. I know quite a few people who have sold their THs because they could not get their sound out of it.

[quote name='xroads' timestamp='1411386310' post='2558921']
Coming from an Aguilar endorser, I understand this statement - which doesn't make too much sense.

If you don't like the Aguilar baked in tone, you will not like the TH. I know quite a few people who have sold their THs because they could not get their sound out of it.
[/quote]

[size=4][font=arial, sans-serif]Of course taste is a subjective matter and I understand why some people wouldn't immediately like an amp or whatever piece of gear specially if they're used with something else. The reason I use Aguilar amps and cabs it's because after many years trying and owning pretty much everything else out there this is the only rig that does exactly what I want it to do. The Tone Hammmer it's miles apart from other class D amps I tried. It's loud but also "fat" sounding. Not skinny like so many I tried. All the notes have weight. Pretty much what Dood said above. It's got more than enough bite and top end but still plenty of balls.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Check the link bellow. How's that for a slap tone? TH 500 + 2 DB 112's. Not the best sound (straight from the mobile camera) but I think you can have an idea. Do people really need more zing than that to play bass? And he's plugged into two smallish cabs. Has anyone here ever plugger their Tone Hammers into an 8X10 or 4X12? It's monstrous! SVT like balls. [/font][/size]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeAECmaJ7Ms"][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeAECmaJ7Ms[/size][/font][/url]

Edited by eddiehoffmann

I must admit the amp is very nice but not very good for the "scooped" tone I'm after when I slap. My Warwick amp is better for that. Of course it's just a personal taste thing... it doesn't sound "bad" but the preamp's controls aren't probably made for that kind of stuff. :)
Anyway it's just lovely for everything else and well built... not something easy to find on small amps.

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1411664663' post='2561732']
I must admit the amp is very nice but not very good for the "scooped" tone I'm after when I slap. My Warwick amp is better for that. Of course it's just a personal taste thing... it doesn't sound "bad" but the preamp's controls aren't probably made for that kind of stuff. :)
Anyway it's just lovely for everything else and well built... not something easy to find on small amps.
[/quote]

Well, what I said...the TH has a sound built-in that is not everyone's taste. That's why a lot of people sell theirs after some time.
There are small amps out there which give you a more modern sound; the Tecamp Puma 500/900 e.g. is an incredible amp, or
the Markbass LM or F500 amps come to mind.