Why become a member? ×

Gibson ES 335 Replacement Label

njr911

I bought a 1992 Gibson ES335 Dot Reissue in around 1997. When I bought it had replacement PUPs and somehow the label in the F hold had been damaged. I never minded as I played the thing and didn't spend a lot of time peering into the F hole.

I then took up bass and didn't play the 335 for about 5 or 6 years.

After a bit of TLC and set up at the luthiers a could of weeks ago I fell in love with the guitar again so had a google for a replacement label. Lots of stories on the tinterweb about Gibson not replacing labels for obvious reasons. I dropped a quick email to Gibson just to see what the score was with pics of the guitar and issue and I got a lovely email back saying they were sending me a replacement label FOC!!!

Now...how the **** do I get the old one out and the new one in ?? :)

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1409131295' post='2536558']...Now...how the **** do I get the old one out and the new one in ?? :)[/quote]

Not sure that the old one has to come out. With a smallish brush, I'd apply wallpaper paste over the old label, through the f-hole, then, using tweezers, slide the new label in, and position it by sliding over the paste. Tampon it down once in place with a smallish ball of cloth on a chopstick.
Hope this helps; but is it [i]that [/i]important..? You could also keep the new label in the case with the guitar, just in case you forget what type of guitar it is. :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]

Tampon it down

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1409229417' post='2537746']
:blink:
[/quote]

I had to use tampax to light a barbecue a couple of weeks ago. Works a treat! Cant help with the label though...

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1409337945' post='2538847']
Tampon it down

I had to use tampax to light a barbecue a couple of weeks ago. Works a treat! Cant help with the label though...
[/quote]

Not a bush fire, I trust..? :unsure:[size=4] [/size]