Why become a member? ×

how to...'politely'

andydye

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1409651622' post='2541797']
So if they aint got a nice wholesome haircut you wont lend it ?

I usually try and help young kids out, up to a point anyway. I was an uncouth hairy yob myself at that age. Once had a nicely dressed, polite young lad ask to borrow my Bass, thats a step too far really but I let him use it.
[/quote]

The hairstyle alone isn't the problem it is the fact that 100% of the time it is the ones that turn up without any gear and most importantly any manners are always the super cool guys that think the whole event has been set up for them! As I said before if the young band have turned up with a 30watt bass combo I have often lent my amp to them if they are friendly and enthusiastic, some have even had silly haircuts and still lent the rig on occasion :D

[b][i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]The hairstyle alone isn't the problem it is the fact that 100% of the time it is the ones that turn up without any gear and most importantly any manners are always the super cool guys that think the whole event has been set up for them! As I said before if the young band have turned up with a 30watt bass combo I have often lent my amp to them if they are friendly and enthusiastic, some[/size][/font][/color] :D[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4] have even had silly haircuts and still lent the rig on occasion [/size][/font][/color][/i][/b]

[size=4]Speaking as someone who was actually sent home from school in the late 60s for not getting my haircut, threatened with the sack from jobs over it covering my ears in the early 70s, and often discriminated against, described as uncouth and dirty, even not allowed in a girls house once or twice. [/size]

[size=4]Just because I had a lot of hair, I was often looked down on by middle aged people which made me a bit shy around them.[/size]

[size=4]I really really thought in these enlightened times, that older people who expected manners from teenagers, and discriminate against them because of their hair would have died out by now. Try talking to em as equals, you might be surprised at the result.[/size]

[size=4]At least give em a chance, yobbish looking kids aint all bad, its just the way they come across sometimes.[/size]

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1409058585' post='2535875']
I find it astonishing how clueless some people are with gear... cranking everything up to ten then wondering why it breaks or sounds sh*t. I wonder how these people have managed to get to adulthood without electrocuting themselvs trying to play bass in the bath or something....
[/quote]
I must stop playing bass in the bath...... Thanks for the reminder.

I am surprised by some of these responses to be honest. You are mostly a bunch of miserable gits!!! ;-)

I have no problem letting anyone use my gear. If it is a gear sharing gig, I wouldn't take anything too expensive and would make sure if everything was at 11 then no harm was done. 99% of punters couldn't tell anyway.

I always ask if it is ok to plugin and have never been turned down. Most of the time I just DI anyway...

Maybe Cambridge just has nicer bass players ;-)

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1410068502' post='2545749']
I am surprised by some of these responses to be honest. You are mostly a bunch of miserable gits!!! ;-)

I have no problem letting anyone use my gear. If it is a gear sharing gig, I wouldn't take anything too expensive and would make sure if everything was at 11 then no harm was done. 99% of punters couldn't tell anyway.

I always ask if it is ok to plugin and have never been turned down. Most of the time I just DI anyway...

Maybe Cambridge just has nicer bass players ;-)
[/quote]

Problem is promoters dont usually ask till the last minute, and some people turn up without gear expecting to use somebody elses without asking in advance.

I don't mid sharing my backline with bands next to us on the bill. These things are usually sorted out in advance, so no big deal. I'd rather share my gear than be forced to use some inadequate practice amp - which has happened quite a lot. These days I tend to bring my rig even when asked not to (just in case!). Don't think I've ever seen a band turn up empty handed, without a clue about where the backline is coming from.