Why become a member? ×

Warwick Strap Locks

markytbass

In 20 years of owning Warwicks I've never had a problem with either of their systems! I'm sure one or two might have (though I've not heard) but then again I'm sure there'll be people who have stories to tell of any system... in short, I'd leave well alone unless you have a specific issue :)

[i]Rumour[/i] has it that Warwick changed from the recessed Dunlop-compatible design to the exposed Schaller type due to instances of natural (ie requiring wax) finished basses shrinking due to moisture loss caused by infrequent (or non-existent) waxing.
The shrinkage caused cracks around the metal inserts, as these (obviously) don't shrink!

Another interpretation would be that Schaller straplocks are more widespread, and that compatible buttons are a lot cheaper to fit than the recessed ones...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='249366' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:14 AM'][i]Rumour[/i] has it that Warwick changed from the recessed Dunlop-compatible design to the exposed Schaller type due to instances of natural (ie requiring wax) finished basses shrinking due to moisture loss caused by infrequent (or non-existent) waxing.
The shrinkage caused cracks around the metal inserts, as these (obviously) don't shrink!

Another interpretation would be that Schaller straplocks are more widespread, and that compatible buttons are a lot cheaper to fit than the recessed ones...[/quote]

I've 2 basses with the recesses (and I've owned a bunch more), which get the perfunctory wax/wipe when I change strings (seems to work for me) and I've never seen the splitting but I suppose anything is possible! I do know of one person that plugged the holes and fitted the external type because he claimed that whilst he played with the strap fitted he was able to hear the pin turning/rubbing in the recess... either the quietest band in the world or the best hearing but each to his own.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='249366' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:14 AM'][i]Rumour[/i] has it that Warwick changed from the recessed Dunlop-compatible design to the exposed Schaller type due to instances of natural (ie requiring wax) finished basses shrinking due to moisture loss caused by infrequent (or non-existent) waxing.

Another interpretation would be that Schaller straplocks are more widespread, and that compatible buttons are a lot cheaper to fit than the recessed ones...[/quote]

AFAIK the exposed Warwick straplocks are Dunlop compatible, not Schaller. Certainly those on my (recently sold) $$ were as are those on my thumb. I find Dunlop strap attachments will fit the Warwick lock, but Warwick strap attachments wont fit dunlop locks. The upstart of this is - if you have lots of basses, you can buy a set of dunlop straplocks for the strap attachments, then buy warwick straplocks for all your basses from the Warwick website shop, where they're about a third the price of Dunlops!!