Why become a member? ×

Bass Cooperative

Mr Fudge

There seem to be a lot of gorgeous basses floating around for knock down prices. Out of interest if so many members threw in say £100 how many of these wonderful specimins could be bought and potentially at some stage lots of people could get a few months with each bass before handing it on. I suppose you would never get to own it but for a fee would often get a great bass to enjoy for a few months.

The logistics of which would make my head explode because I'm from West Bromwich, but I know people who have done a similar thing with art in the past.

In theory, if someone was prepared to go to the place where the instruments were stored and collect, it could work. Similar thing already operates with super car clubs. You pay an annual subscription fee plus a booking fee and agree to get the car back in the same condition as it left. However there's no accounting for the recklessness of some people.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='248261' date='Jul 26 2008, 07:37 AM']In theory, if someone was prepared to go to the place where the instruments were stored and collect, it could work. Similar thing already operates with super car clubs. You pay an annual subscription fee plus a booking fee and agree to get the car back in the same condition as it left. However there's no accounting for the recklessness of some people.[/quote]

Would gigging be the car club's equivalent of a day at the stock car races?

On a community such as here it's easy to get to know other players , once off-line friendships are formed with members going to other members gigs or the bass bashes it's perfectly possible to maybe swap basses for a while with a likeminded individual.

I think that's a more sensible ,and far easier , option than a formal collective ownership scheme.

I also know many players - myself included at an earlier stage in my life - that have their main bass and constantly change the back up bass. That way you get to own and play as many basses as you wish , and if you buy and sell at realistic prices you're losing nothing - as you would with a joint purchase jobb for something that's never yours to do with as you please.

I'm not trashing the suggestion - just thinking there are easier and better ways to achieve the same goals.

[quote name='paul h' post='248372' date='Jul 26 2008, 12:41 PM']Mr. Fudge would quite clearly just keep the communal basses and then disappear. He is a filthy robber.

P.[/quote]

you may never see these basses again but I can assure you that the first 5 frets would be in place and I would not felt tip in a new paint job.

Would anyone like to buy an electronic chess set? Responds to the name "CHARGE"