Why become a member? ×

Double Cabs are Louder ..or are they.

Chienmortbb

[quote name='bridge' timestamp='1407907594' post='2525175']
Dude,
I am at present, running a BF compact and a GB Streamliner 900. I intend to get a midget to compliment this set up, A) when one is available at the right price, B)when I actually [i]have [/i]the right price!! my question is, what 12" are you using with the compact? I need an extra cab, and was about to reseach what alternatives would be suitable, in place of a midget, should they become available at a price I can afford. cheers mate.
[/quote]

I'm using a BF Big Baby 2. It's bigger than a Midget but I find it much more "full" on its own. I had a chance to try both the BB2 and the Midget, as someone local had both cabs, and the Midget was a remarkable cab, but overall I felt the BB2 was rounder, so if the extra bulk (it's still small, just not as small) is not a problem, the BB2 is a great solution. Sounds great on its own, but with the addition of the Compact it's very nice. The Streamliner 900 with those two sounds really good.

Isn't the problems we have whenever this subject is raised that there are two aspects - the physics, which is pretty well absolute and the magic 6dB people often quote. The other aspect is perceived loudness, and that's completely variable because loudspeakers couple together. Look at a line array, they speakers combine in one direction so they can produce a beam that is very wide, but not very high. The loudness isn't wasted, it's directed. So depending on how your two drivers, or cabinets are combined means the output, that from one driver would be a cone of sound, becomes a squashed cone. aligning them vertically makes the beam wider, but not spreading as much vertically. So if you stand in one spot, it will seem louder - because it is. If you have two cabs side by side - the cone shape is distorted the other way - it's less wide, but taller.

The issues with impedance and solid state and valves just cloud the issue - Watts and impedances just being employed in different ways due to the electronics differences. It's perhaps made worse by the way specs are produced. 500W into 4 Ohms and 250W into 8 Ohms etc - this gives the impression extra power suddenly appears by magic.

I like to use my own experience in a venue we look after. By amp power rating I had 12KW of PA permanently in the building - which was in fact 2 almost identical systems. My band needed a PA urgently one day, so I took one system out, leaving them 1 6KW system. Apart from maybe half an inch on the master faders, nobody noticed!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1407918712' post='2525241']
I'm using a BF Big Baby 2. It's bigger than a Midget but I find it much more "full" on its own. I had a chance to try both the BB2 and the Midget, as someone local had both cabs, and the Midget was a remarkable cab, but overall I felt the BB2 was rounder, so if the extra bulk (it's still small, just not as small) is not a problem, the BB2 is a great solution. Sounds great on its own, but with the addition of the Compact it's very nice. The Streamliner 900 with those two sounds really good.
[/quote]

Cheers for that Dude, much apreciated.