Why become a member? ×

My first vid...

bassjamm

Hey people,

[b]Fretless vid about 4/5 posts down[/b]

Well, i thought i'd finally do a vid of me playing around with some ideas. Got my looper going with a chord progression i've been working on for a while, and i basically just mucked about on top of it. It's quite a hard progression as it's not really got a key centre, or rather, i've not found it yet, which makes it more fun because i just think about the notes, lol!!!

Here it is, apologies for the quality, used my phone but the sound is there. I think it'll pop up in a new window as i've used photobucket to upload it to the net:

[url="http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/bassjamm/?action=view&current=5d5b3638.pbr"][/url]

Please feel free to dish out all your views, good and bad!!!

Thanks
Jamie

Edited by bassjamm

Cool vid Jamie, great jamming... great bassjamming!

I especially like the groovy lower down bits like at 1.20(from the end).

Hopefully now you have worked out how to do them you wil record some more vids to share?

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='247402' date='Jul 24 2008, 11:27 PM']Cool vid Jamie, great jamming... great bassjamming!

I especially like the groovy lower down bits like at 1.20(from the end).

Hopefully now you have worked out how to do them you wil record some more vids to share?

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Lol...you mean you like the bit when i'm playing 'bass' not displaying acts that remind you of a frustrated guitarist, lol!!!

Thanks though mate!

I intend to yeah. I'll try and hook up the digital camera, although whenever i've used that before the sound doesn't seem to work on the laptop very well...nice crystal clear picture though :) I could over-dub some 'dooo be doo ba deee' over it :huh:

Haha yeah maybe I prefer the low stuff.. the high end stuff sounds lovely too though, very skillful playing mate, I really like it - but I am more down with those tasty double stops and choked 16th groovelets.

The F sounds great too. Now do a fretless vid!!

Noticed the other day you are endorsed by Lull now - got one on order? Tell all!!

ped

A fretless one will be next on order mate, perhaps anyway! Been working on my fretless playing this week, it's getting there...still not that great at it but it's getting there!

Yeah, the F Bass is sounding ok...still not sure it's 'me' though!

As for the Lull. I've got it all spec'd up...just making sure i'm happy to go ahead with it, at the moment i'm in talks with another one of my favourite luthiers. I'm just unsure about what will help me to develop my 'voice' on the bass. I don't know :)

Kind sir Ped...your wish is my command!!!

It's well too long and there's waaaaayyyyyyyy too many duff notes in there that i didn't mean to do...lol, that's what i keep telling myself anyway, that the wrong notes are usual supposed to be there :)

[url="http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/bassjamm/?action=view&current=MOV00071.flv"][/url]

Hi Jamie

First off - good stuff man! I particularly liked the first one - your tone is great and I liked the way you got a line and kept working back on it, and playing with the phrasing - something I actually need to do more of myself... your playing is very musical and despite your explanation about not having a chord change or key centre etc this is actually a great test of your improvising/phrasing skills - the less you have to work off the more you have to create something interesting. The fretless vid was lovely as well, maybe a little long but that's no bad thing when you are stretching out and trying things. My one small criticism/bit of advice is that I notice when you have done some lovely solo-y stuff that when you go back into a bass line that the groove isn't that focused. Or rather you haven't thought ahead to that so your thoughts go from - solo, solo, solo...now, er, groove... :huh: - you can obviously play so it's not about that, it's about think "now I'm going to lay down as nasty, funky groove that will rock the house..." - or something like that! A really killing bass line as part of a solo 'feature' live can be great so while it's not strictly soloing, it can still be played with increased attitude and really be a great end to a solo - so my advice 'think ahead' more and your stuff will really sound tight!

My only other nugget of advice re soloing is as long as you start strong and finish strong then the middle will take care of itself... while that's massively generalising it is partly true as if you go into your solo too fast you ca quickly run out of steam, likewise if you don't close your solo with some more melodic phrases or a strong ending note it can sort of fizzle out and die (don't worry I've done both of these) :) - anyway you are sounding great - keep it up.

Cheers

Mike

That's great stuff thank Mike, really appreciate it!

I know exactly what you're saying about the fretless vid, when i cut back to groove, i didn't realised groove all that well, it was just whatever came out...as though i stumbled into it and was looking around wondering what just happened 'oh, i'm grooving now'. So thanks for that, that's a great help!

Also, i totally get what you're saying about starting strong and ending strong, something i haven't really thought about but it makes perfect sense!

I'll definately try and get some more stuff done, and bare in mind what you're saying, so i'll try and incorporate this for sure!

Really appreciate the input guys...really is awesome to hear back as i can learn a lot from it, and i'm wanting to learn from these vids, not showcase myself!

Thanks
J

I love the fretted vid. I like the way you play about with the phrases, building them and playing variations - really nice stuff. Your phrasing in general is very vocal, very sax player like and fluid which is great. I like the fretless vid too, and it shows loads of potential, but I think I can hear you don't feel as comfortable yet. Sure you will soon though :)

Overall, very impressive throughout!

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='249989' date='Jul 28 2008, 09:46 PM']I love the fretted vid. I like the way you play about with the phrases, building them and playing variations - really nice stuff. Your phrasing in general is very vocal, very sax player like and fluid which is great. I like the fretless vid too, and it shows loads of potential, but I think I can hear you don't feel as comfortable yet. Sure you will soon though :)

Overall, very impressive throughout!

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

Thanks Alun,

Really appreciate that mate, seriously, some great feedback. Yeah, i'm not as comfortable on fretless yet, it doesn't feel like 'home' yet. Only really been playing it for just over one year!

Seriously, thanks mate, totally appreciate your kind words...any kind words of wisdom?

J