Why become a member? ×

Compensation

blue

I've seen a fair number of charity events, run by many benevolent helpers, where the bands [i]do [/i]get paid. There are folk clubs held in pubs up and down the country where many musicians play for nothing. Sometimes there'll be a 'guest appearance', often paid. Some pubs put on 'live music' with amateur, unpaid bands. Others organise concerts with tickets and pay the group. Some band would be OK with a contract for £1000. Other groups wouldn't consider anything less than 10 times that, or even much more. There are many ways of setting up events. Surely, if the conditions aren't suitable, one wouldn't participate..? I can't see the problem with that. Each is a different case; it's not often helpful to judge others without being in their shoes.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1406654445' post='2513480']
I may be cynical but I just see it as a way of cutting costs and dodging red tape...
[/quote]

I wouldn't be at all surprised . . . in some cases. But there are lots of different cases so people can pick and choose as they wish. Choice is good isn't it?

Dad's post pretty much sums it up for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am sure it happens but we don't get involved.

Re the 'charity' festivals that were deemed well attended ( sold out, their words ) and charged, around £5;00 per ticket around here, against
£7:00 a ticket.
The former posted ITRO £2k to charity and the latter £4k. The former had a free bill and the latter paid about 8 bands.

I look forward to the free ones getting big enough to be able to pay their line-up in future.... ;)