Why become a member? ×

A good cheap 'screaming wah'

MarkG3

I know this has been covered and I've done some internet searches but I wasn't 100% with what I found.

I'm after a good bass wah that really screams and has a good range, I used to have a cry baby bass 105q years ago but I sold it on as I wasn't using it.

I've recently picked up a Morley Dual Bass wah for cheap and tbh it really doesn't seem to have much of a sweep which I'm looking for.

The sounds I have in my head are Cliff Burton and RATM on calm like a bomb.

What would suit what I'm after? Tbh I can't really remember much of the cry baby but it definitely had more of a sweep than the Dual bass wah.

Oh and I'm using an EHX bass big muff,

Well, Timmy C used a 105Q on the RATM stuff, and the old Metallica stuff was one of the vintage Morley wahs which sounds very different to the current crop.

The Ibanez Weeping Demon and G-Lab Wowee Bass Wah are contenders too.

[quote name='Mark_88MPH' timestamp='1406411626' post='2511366']
Anyone have any experience with this bad boy?

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/amt_wh_1b_bass_wah_wah.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...ass_wah_wah.htm[/url]

Looks good but does it sound good?
[/quote]

I've had one. It's a good solution if you NEED a tiny wah for board space reasons, but ultimately there are better pedals out there if you can manage something larger. I found out of the 3 modes, the lowest one was great but maybe a bit too subby (watch your speakers!), the middle one no good, and the upper one just about right but could do with more lows mixed in. It also suffers from loud true bypass clicks. I'm using the G-Lab now and give it the thumbs up, never tried the Ibanez.

[quote name='Mark_88MPH' timestamp='1406371875' post='2510975']
I know this has been covered and I've done some internet searches but I wasn't 100% with what I found.

I'm after a good bass wah that really screams and has a good range, I used to have a cry baby bass 105q years ago but I sold it on as I wasn't using it.

I've recently picked up a Morley Dual Bass wah for cheap and tbh it really doesn't seem to have much of a sweep which I'm looking for.

The sounds I have in my head are Cliff Burton and RATM on calm like a bomb.

What would suit what I'm after? Tbh I can't really remember much of the cry baby but it definitely had more of a sweep than the Dual bass wah.

Oh and I'm using an EHX bass big muff,

[/quote]

Do you want good or cheap? :P

If cost is a concern, the Ibanez Weeping Demon is pretty cool. I had the 105Q and a Weeping Demon and I only let the WD go because of its size.
The 105Q can do the RATM stuff very well (I've used one for about 3 years in a RATM tribute band), and the "auto on" was subtler than in the WD, although I did prefer the WD's sound, marginally.

Now, my absolute favourite is the G-Labs wowee wah. Yes, it's more expensive, but after trying I don't know how many wahs, I finally found what I wanted in the G-Labs one. Auto-on operation is flawless, and it's teh best sounding wah I've tried. It's fantastic for RATM.
We played a gig recently where a guy came to see me afterwards saying that my sound in Calm like a Bomb especifically was "... soooo motherf***ing filthy and awesome!"... The VT-Bass with the G-Labs wah sounds amazing :)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Mark_88MPH' timestamp='1406411626' post='2511366']
Anyone have any experience with this bad boy?

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/amt_wh_1b_bass_wah_wah.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...ass_wah_wah.htm[/url]

Looks good but does it sound good?
[/quote]

I also had one of them (I told you I have been around the wah block ;))

Sound-wise wasn't bad at all, although I struggled to get the right range for things like "Fistful of Steel". The small size was attractive for my pedalboard... but it was hard to use: a full size pedal is much easier to use live. Mine made a "pop" sound sometimes when turning it on, so I got into the habit of clicking it in time with the snare ;) but it was not ideal.
In the end, the small size made it not as comfortable to use as I wished, and the sound wasn't exactly what I wanted, so I sold it. I wanted to like it, but a full size pedal is much nicer, in my opinion. This was the last wah I owned before the G-Labs one.