Why become a member? ×

Polyrhythms vs crossrhythms

If the different parts are in different time sigs but the same tempo (ie 6/4 drums and 4/4 bass, two seperate parts that line up every 24 quarter notes) that is a polyrhythm.

If the different parts are in the same time signature but with different rhythmic groupings (ie a bar of 4/4 with a guitar playing straight 8ths and bass playing triplet 8ths) that is a crossrhythm.

That's how I've always worked it, but it seems a lot of people use these terms differently. Any comments?

This was sparked off by [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343517"]this thread[/url] over on T*lkb*ss.

I would think of polyrhythms more as different subdivisions of the same beat - a triplet over 2 8th notes being the easiest example and a cross rthym as the same values but accented differently eg one part playing in 4/4 while another accents every third note for example. So the opposite of what you said :)

To be honest, the two get used interchangably so my definition may not be right but that's how I see them.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='25577' date='Jul 1 2007, 12:38 PM']If the different parts are in different time sigs but the same tempo (ie 6/4 drums and 4/4 bass, two seperate parts that line up every 24 quarter notes) that is a polyrhythm.[/quote]

I'd class that as what is typically called a polymetre. As Alun has said, a polyrhythm, is more like...say you've got one part in 4/4 and another part that's 5/4...but you squish that 5/4 into the 'space' of that 4/4 bar, so that they each repeat after the same length of time (so theoretically, that "5/4" is really like haveing 5/5 notes if that makes sense)..that would be a 5:4 polyrhythm

I like to think of it like this
[font="Courier New"]1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + [/font]

See how both patterns repeat at the same point?

[i][b]EDIT: That formatting worked out on my preview...just going to try and fix that

EDIT 2 : Meh, can't be bothered./..copy and paste those numbers into notepad if you can be[/b][/i]

Edited by fragility

I believe they are one in the same thing

Here are some great examples that I managed to pull off by tapping on my desk, thus irritating the hell out of my work colleagues.

[url="http://www.justjazz.com/discussion-hypermail/Nov-96/00000255.htm"]http://www.justjazz.com/discussion-hyperma...96/00000255.htm[/url]