Why become a member? ×

How would you do this

Archetype

hey people.

Looking for a bit of advice on how to do a setup.

The aim is to have 2 sounds. the first a clean bass tone, with the focus on the bass. The second is to have a gritty over driven tone with a focus on the high end.
The next objective is to blend these into one signal that can do to a DI and Amp.

The man aim for this is that with no transport and being in a hard working metal band carting amps around is a nightmare for us. And every gig we play is always a DI'ed bass with an amp on stage thats only good for a monitor (and even that...) so i want to have my sound on the floor ready to go.

So, how would you do this?

Archetype

It depends! I would:

Get a boss LS-2, put a compressor in one loop, put an overdrive in the other loop, blend them how you like them, take the output to a DI box with a link output for your amp.

Edited by cheddatom

Well, I know that a [url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/sansamp_intro.html"]SansAmp[/url] Bass Driver pedal can technically do what you're after, the question is whether you like that sound. You'll hear comments such as "what happened to my mids?" in reviews, but they are doing something about that with the RPM (rack) and Para Driver (pedal). The RPM is what Geddy of Rush uses live, with no amps in the signal chain to the PA.

[quote name='bnt' post='246146' date='Jul 23 2008, 02:40 PM']Well, I know that a [url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/sansamp_intro.html"]SansAmp[/url] Bass Driver pedal can technically do what you're after, the question is whether you like that sound. You'll hear comments such as "what happened to my mids?" in reviews, but they are doing something about that with the RPM (rack) and Para Driver (pedal). The RPM is what Geddy of Rush uses live, with no amps in the signal chain to the PA.[/quote]
But doesn't Geddy use an Avalon & a Palmer? Oh yeah - topic, the Paradriver might well do it. Easy to lug around too. :)

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' post='246152' date='Jul 23 2008, 02:43 PM']But doesn't Geddy use an Avalon & a Palmer? Oh yeah - topic, the Paradriver might well do it. Easy to lug around too. :)[/quote]
Well, the Avalon U5 is a tube DI, and the Palmer PDI-05 is a speaker simulator and DI. The Palmers will work as a dummy speaker load too. I'd question whether those are [i]essential[/i] parts of the signal chain, or whether Geddy continues using them because he's used to them and/or as a backup. (He still carries a couple of Trace Elliot Quadra power amps too.)

Edited by bnt

I'm going a similar route, going ampless with a VT Bass (sounds better than a regular Sansamp, with more mids and more tones on offer, apparently) and a Radial JDI. Aguilar Tone Hammer is getting a lot of pre-release hype also.

What I've seen someone do before is a use Sansamp BDDI, take the unaffected output to an MXR-M80, and send an effected DI from each box straight to the desk, letting the soundman have 2 pre-amp signals to blend together. Sounded pretty good to me. But this is a good way to blend 2 pre-amps without the need for a separate blender like the Boss LS-2, as long as one of them as a clean output like the Sansamp does.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='246247' date='Jul 23 2008, 04:58 PM']What I've seen someone do before is a use Sansamp BDDI, take the unaffected output to an MXR-M80, and send an effected DI from each box straight to the desk, letting the soundman have 2 pre-amp signals to blend together. Sounded pretty good to me. But this is a good way to blend 2 pre-amps without the need for a separate blender like the Boss LS-2, as long as one of them as a clean output like the Sansamp does.[/quote]

Similar to my very own set up actually!

I run my signal into an MXR80, the output directly to input one of my FX unit.I run the unnaffected parallel output into my Sansamp and the output of that goes into input 2 of my effects unit. I then use the effects unit to mix and balance the two signals as required.

Both pedals are set to a blend so that in both cases a percentage of the original bass tone comes through as well. So, I have a dirty sound, an 'amp' sound AND a direct sound all mixed together. The whole lot is dumped out to my F1 for backline, or, if I so chose, out to a stereo balanced out for recording etc. The sound makes my bass and set up very touch sensitive and pretty brutal when need be. It's a bit like Pete Steele and Marcus Miller playing at the same time ;o)

[quote name='bnt' post='246205' date='Jul 23 2008, 03:58 PM']Well, the Avalon U5 is a tube DI, and the Palmer PDI-05 is a speaker simulator and DI. The Palmers will work as a dummy speaker load too. I'd question whether those are [i]essential[/i] parts of the signal chain, or whether Geddy continues using them because he's used to them and/or as a backup. (He still carries a couple of Trace Elliot Quadra power amps too.)[/quote]
Ah yes. Doesn't he also use a Trace 4x10 as a load somewhere as well? Sorry, off-topic I know!

[quote name='bnt' post='246205' date='Jul 23 2008, 02:58 PM']Well, the Avalon U5 is a tube DI, and the Palmer PDI-05 is a speaker simulator and DI. The Palmers will work as a dummy speaker load too. I'd question whether those are [i]essential[/i] parts of the signal chain, or whether Geddy continues using them because he's used to them and/or as a backup. (He still carries a couple of Trace Elliot Quadra power amps too.)[/quote]
/pedant mode
Isn't the U5 solid state?
/pedant mode off