Why become a member? ×

MESA BOOGIE M3 COMBO

titchfieldrelic

Hi Al Krow, my main amp is the Mesa Boogie M6 Fathom Combo, which is the same as Carbine. I've also got a Fender Bronco 40 which is perfect for practice at home. The problem with the Fathom is that for studio practice, it's too big (and heavy) and the Bronco is just not powerful enough. I thought the M3 Combo would be ideal for home practice due to it's small size and loud enough for studio rehearsal. It's expensive, though. So is it worth it?

Hi TFR. Well it seems we are in identical circumstances, as my main amp is also a Mesa Boogie M6 Carbine combo, which is a superb amp but at 80lbs not something you wan't to lug around. Is the M3 combo still available and if so how much does it cost / weigh?

Like you, I've been thinking about a second amp for smaller venues. For combos < £1,000 (which rules out the TecAmp 212 Classic), with a minimum speaker size of 2x10 (anything smaller likely to get drowned out with a band?), my current order of preference seems to be:
1. GK MB 212 - II 500W £600 41 lbs
2. Markass CMD 102p £800 44 lbs (but apparently not great at lows? and 300W without a second cab)
3. (new) Fender Rumble 500 2x10 £450 (350W) 37 lbs
4. Orange Terror Bass 500 Combo 2x12 £900 53 lbs (number of bass chat comments of not being able to get a clean tone at anything other than a low volume, and folk not wanting to hold on to the their TB kit, which is a shame as it would be great to support a British brand)

I've not A/B'd these yet, so I guess that will be the next thing to do...

Hi Al Krow, when I bought my Fathom Combo, it was £1400 new, about 6 years ago. It was rare and I'm not surprised it was discontinued. Silly money for an absolutely superb combo. The only problem is the weight.

I bought the Fender Bronco knowing that at 40 watts and a 10" speaker it would be perfect for use at home. I tried it at several practice sessions without drums and it was obvious that even then it was out of it's depth.

So,as with you, I have to take the Fathom Combo to any practice sesions and small gigs.

The amp combos you've identified are probably nearly as big as the M6 Combo due to the fact that they've got two 10" or 12" speakers.

The M3 Combo appears to be the answer. Should be good for small gigs, rehearsal sessions and home use. I could then sell or keep the Bronco.

The problem with the M3 Combo is price. It's nearly £1,500 new (if you can find one) or £900 second hand. It weighs 40lbs.

I hope someone has got one and can tell us all about it.

Mind you, if my lottery ticket comes up, I'll just buy one!

I prefer the Walkabout to the M-series Mesa heads in terms of old school thump. From the looks of the Mesa website though, it appears that the M3 has been discontinued.

The Mesa combos cost a hell of a lot of money. I've had a Walkabout combo for the last five years though and I would consider that they are just about worth it.

Edited by thodrik

Hi TFR - I think you're right that the alternative combos I have selected (apart from the Orange) are getting on for a similar size to the Mesa M6 Combo, but they are coming in at about half the weight (and a fraction of the price). It's the weight for me that is the biggest issue with portability. If you're happy with a single 12", then I guess the M3 would fit what you are looking for as would the Walkabout, I suspect that they are both great amps, if the M6 is anything to go by - but I've kinda felt that my budget for a second rig should be more modest on principle :) and I am keen on at least a 2x10 so I don't get lost in the mix, hence the amps I'm looking at.

There's a thread comparing the M3 with the Walkabout on Talkbass. They seem to confirm Thodrik's understanding that the M3 has been discontinued. They also seem to suggest it weighs 65lbs! (vs 50lbs for the Walkabout), so maybe not so great in terms of portability?

Hi Al Krow, the Walkabout is 51lbs with a 12" speaker and after checking many internet sites it would appear that the M3 Combo is 48lbs, which I think is about right. The cabinet is less than half the size of an M6 Combo, only one speaker and an amp half the size. Bass Central say the M3 and M3 Combo is discontinued, so availability will be like trying to find a Premier League footballer that doesn't dive! If you're paying about £1,600 for a Walkabout, there wouldn't be much difference in buying an M3 Combo if you could find a new one somewhere. Second hand prices are about £900. The problem for me is that I don't generally buy second hand gear. And amps are a minefield. How has it been treated? It could have been 'on the road' for a year at maximim volume. Why is it for sale? So, is it worth the risk?

Edited by titchfieldrelic

Hi - agreed re the risk on second hand cabs and completely understand where you are coming from. I guess the only sure tip there is to buy from someone you know and trust, be it an individual or via a store?

I've been thinking about a high quality (i.e. something which could hope on a good day to give our beloved Mesa Bs a run for their money), with a single 12" speaker which can provide portability with both size and weight. I think it might be worth us both checking out the TecAmp Puma Combo 112 Classic? £765 via Thomann, compact and just 30lbs.

Edited by Al Krow

Hi Al Krow, the new version of the TecAmp Puma Combo, no longer called the Classic, is sold in GAK's for £1,149. I bought my Fathom Combo without testing, although there was a superb review on it in Guitarist magazine. But Mesa has a reputation, so I thought I'd just buy it. TecAmp is not a name I'm familiar with, so I thought I'd call in to GAK to try it when I'm next in the Brighton area. If I like it, I can always buy the old model from Thomann and save nearly £400 if it's still available.

However, surely there must be one BassChatter out there who has an M3 Combo and can tell us all about it.

• 1 year later...

I've had Markbass combos, 1 x 12 and 2 x 10. Both are excellent and cheaper now than when I bought mine 6 - 8 years ago!!

The Mesa Walkabout is brilliant but expensive. (I have the head only now.)

Now I have a AER amp two, 1x12 + 1x4, which I think trumps them all but again, not a lightweight or cheap option.

If I was buying a combo now it would be the Fender Rumble 500. Loud, great sound, lightweight, cheap and very pretty. :D

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

Its heavy but a quick, loud, responsive amp. I've also played the M6 head and again its louder quick and responsive.
If you can mange the schlep then go for it :)

I giggled mine in a 4 piece pub gig and it was balls loud for that (we had pa support) I'd play an M6 all week long - its a more modern sounding head than the walkabout and 'quick'. If you can get one at good price its worth a punt.