Why become a member? ×

It not only lives...

Thor

So I've always had a preference to playing a Jazz Bass since my late teens, but over the years I've often been tempted by (and owned one or two) a nice P Bass, despite however many I've tried, I've never really been happy with them when gigging as I've found more often than not they get lost in the mix? So I thought I'd gotten to grips with the dreaded GAS, but here's my latest, self build P Bass.

Warmoth Standard P Body, Mighty Mite P neck with Fender waterslide decal, Fender tuners with extender, Badass II bridge, DiMarzio P pickups (had these laying around for a while waiting for a project), CTS pots, Switchcraft jack, Rotosound RS66LD 45 - 105, Dunlop Straplocks.

This was my first self build project, I gigged it last night and it sounded way better than I thought it would, I'd expected to play maybe a handful of songs with it and then reach for my trusty Jazz, but it was an absolute gem to play and certainly didn't sound muddy - although with the tone control wound off it certainly can. I did have to fettle around with the nut - needed quite a bit of filing to get the action to a decent level, but on the whole the set up was quite straight forward and certainly worth it. Definitely re-kindled my interest in P's now.