Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Watching one of the worlds greatest players

SpaceChick

Well, last night was the opening night of the Swansea Jazz festival.

A legend came from LA to his first ever visit in Wales to astound us with his talent.

I'm not into Jazz music as a rule, but the chance of seeing Jimmy Haslip live, on my doorstep, was one I couldn't miss.

I have to say I spent most of his performance in a state of wonder at his talent!! People were cheering bass solos :P

He's a left handed player, and was playing a 6 string and like other left handlers of his generation he was playing with the B string at the bottom and the C string at the top! What astounded me most was his plucking hand, it glided the strings with an ease I have rarely had the pleasure to witness, and his speed was literally breathtaking!

I got the chance to shake his hand after the gig. I'm hoping some of the magic may have rubbed off ;)

I swear about 10 mins into the gig I thought to myself that I'd never be a fraction as good as he is and maybe I should just quit there and then!! Then I thought, I don't want to be a superstar, I just enjoy being me, so watch, learn and enjoy!!

I can see me doing a few fretboard exercises today :lol:

They are in London somewhere tonight, I don't know where, but if you do get the chance to see "Jeff Lorber's fusion" I recommend it for Jimmy.

Edited by SpaceChick

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1403342325' post='2481915']
I got the chance to shake his hand after the gig. I'm hoping some of the magic may have rubbed off ;)
[/quote]

It did, he's been noodling around with 'Comfortably Numb' in his hotel room ever since... ;)