Why become a member? ×

Pickup aperture in single coil pickups

jazzyvee

What effect does the pickup aperture have on the sound. For example a single coil Jazz bass size compared to a singe coil soap bar style pickup. Obviously it is seeing a larger portion of the vibrating string but what does that mean in terms of the quality, type of sound etc.

jazzyvee

Soapbar pups are problematic as sometimes there is a single coil - Fender-style - in it, sometimes a P90-style broad coil, and sometimes a dual coil humbucker. It's just a shell to fit a specific hole which can be filled with various pickups to taste.

As far as the aperture question is concerned, I'm no expert, but my understanding id the wider the aperture, the greater the number of overtones sampled.

G.

With a wider aperture, I gather that some of the higher harmonics are reduced. Since the harmonics of a vibrating string occur as divisions of its length, if a harmonic divides the string into fractions shorter than the width of the pickup there will be some phase cancellation. It's hard to directly compare though, as there are relatively few instances of pickups with the same magnets, wire and number of turns with only the coil shape different, and plenty of other things that can affect frequency response.

Edited by Beer of the Bass