Why become a member? ×

Tired of my MarkBass F1. Need sugestions.

dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1403545914' post='2483783']
Me agin with another idea.
I've been looking at the Darkglass Vintage Deluxe and this looks like it might be a cheaper option than changing the amp.
To me it looks like a more neutral version of my BDDI. The Era knob looks like a good idea and maybe a one knob tweak I could make use of.
As much as I love my BDDI it's really only there to add a bit of punch as I don't really like the full on SVT emulation, but the VTM seems to be more flexible.

Any thoughts on this idea?
[/quote]

Hmm...cheaper option for sure plus you get the clean Markbass tone without it. Personally, I've never been massively happy with the gain/drive tones from the Darkglass products. Distortion/gain/hair of grit is a very personal thing and to me it sound quite modern....I still think the BDDI is one of the best for that tone.

Cheers Gareth.
I must admit I've hardly pushed the BDDI since starting to use it (about 3 years now), but maybe this is part of the tone I'm bored with. I know I couldn't go back to using just the head (given the choice), so maybe it's the front end that needs changing and not the head itself.

Of course I've never played a DG product, but I've read so many good reports about these, and although I don't want distortion as such I think a subtle thickening will do wonders.

For reference I hated the VT Bass I had, way too lively for me, and as much as I liked the Paradriver I had for a few months I found it too tempting to play with at gigs and too distracting. Also I did miss the tubey thickening the BDDI did.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1403552920' post='2483889']
I must admit I've hardly pushed the BDDI since starting to use it (about 3 years now), but maybe this is part of the tone I'm bored with. I know I couldn't go back to using just the head (given the choice), so maybe it's the front end that needs changing and not the head itself.
Of course I've never played a DG product, but I've read so many good reports about these, and although I don't want distortion as such I think a subtle thickening will do wonders.
For reference I hated the VT Bass I had, way too lively for me, and as much as I liked the Paradriver I had for a few months I found it too tempting to play with at gigs and too distracting. Also I did miss the tubey thickening the BDDI did.
[/quote]

For a long time I used a Markbass Little Mark with a BDI-21 permanently installed in front of it for a bit of heft. If you haven't tried one already, at £26 it's a no-risk option. Does subtle (and not-so-subtle) thickening like no other.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1403553537' post='2483899']
Cheers Mark.
I do have one but dont use it anymore. It's based on the BDDI and I use that instead. It's a bit warmer sounding, although I do like the digital tone the BDI-21 does.
[/quote]

I never noticed a digital tone... It sounds quite warm to me compared with the core tone of the LM. :)
I actually preferred it to a SansAmp. Get it out and try it again! You may be surprised.

Edited by discreet

I did take both to gigs in the early days but always ended up preferring the BDDI. I'd be happy with either but the BDDI seems to have a thicker, deeper tone to my ears.
Funny enough I prefer the BDI-21 at home when playing though my PC (although now my Zoom 60B does all sim duties at home, inc BDDI sim).

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1403552920' post='2483889']
Cheers Gareth.

[/quote]

Hmmm.... Aguilar Tonehammer pedal of TH500?

As much as I wondered why you did not like the RH450....
I am almost shocked that you 'hated' the VT pedal!

I used one in front of my LM2 for several years, and that set-up could produce just about any tone imaginable.

I guess my tone likes have changed over the past few years. In fact up until a couple of weeks ago I had been playing P basses and now I'm back to playing a Jazz.

Maybe hated the RH450 was a bit strong, I just didn't think the fundamental tone was as strong as the MB head I had at the time.
With the VTBass I really didn't like it. I had been using a BDDI and was quite happy with that, but found the VTBass to be too different and more of an effect than an always on box. I suppose I could have given it more of a chance but as I was happy with the BDDI I couldn't see any point keeping the VTBass.

As I've said, distortion and OD has never been my thing, and I found I never ended to hear any with the BDDI. I tend to use that more for the slight boost in EQ. The VT just seemed to wan to add more to this that I didn't need.

Now that I'm more aware of what a decent preamp with a bit of dirt can add I'm more interested in using it, and the Darkglass seems to tick all the right boxes.

The VT pedal can be a fussy little bugger, and certainly needs some time spent with it.... as a little goes a long way!
I did not use it for distortion, more to add warmth and thickness to the LM2.

I found that the VT (set fairly neutral) added that 'certain something' to my sound, that I could not get from the LM2 alone.

I'm the same, only with the BDDI. Part of my love for the BDDI is it's mid scoop, as my cab is quite mid heavy. Just a touch of the blend knob and things smooth out a bit.
But as I said, now I want a change from this and hopefully the VTMD will give me a bit more freedom.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1403564466' post='2484057']
Part of my love for the BDDI is it's mid scoop, as my cab is quite mid heavy. Just a touch of the blend knob and things smooth out a bit.
But as I said, now I want a change from this...[/quote]

Are you sure? If you're OK with that maybe it's something else? :)

Thanks guys.
Nope, never sure but my inner self says I have to give it a go, or else I'll never know.

I really do love the idea of the F1 and 1212L, I would find it harder to replace those if I went the new cab or amp route and it didn't work out (as in the past). At least with a preamp it's cheaper and I'm not giving up what i know works.

I think the VTBass may well work for me now, but as I've had one I'm not keen on another when there are other options out there that I haven't tired yet.

[quote name='Mr.T' timestamp='1403600683' post='2484220']
What about plugging your Zoom into the effects return of your MB amp, then trying out all the amp and pre-amp sims?
[/quote]

Interesting. I used a Zoom B3 as a preamp into a power amp and the MB sim was (imho) actually better than a real MB. Plus it was possible to mix and match the MB sim with other sims. I had the MB sim EQd for a clean, taught bottom end (missus) and used a SansAmp sim to effect just the high mids and top end. Worked really well.

More or less my plan at first. I found the foot switches ot be too close together to work for me on the floor though.
In fact my 60B has that and a compressor in front, sort of like a rack set up, and then i had either a chorus or filter that i could switch on or off using the foot switch.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1403604101' post='2484284']
More or less my plan at first. I found the foot switches ot be too close together to work for me on the floor though.
[/quote]

I had mine on top of my rig and didn't use the switches once I'd set my sound. Just had the option of lots of different amp sounds which I would experiment with at home and rehearsal. Didn't touch it at gigs - it was set-and-forget.

My problem is i dont have my amp and cab at home so any experimenting is done with headphones.
With most of our gigs sound check is very short, so i dont get time to mess about, and due to the nature of the 60B its too fiddly to play with during the gigs.

With my amp and BDDI i hardly ever touch it at gigs, but if i need to its a lot quicker than going in to menus etc.

As much as i thought the 60B would work well on the top of my amp i also wanted to be able to turn another effect on and off during songs, so i had to have it on the floor.

Like i say, its all about resisting temptation to fiddle with me, and im very weak when it comes to not leaving things alone (not sure if that last sentence comes across in the way its intended ;-)

VMTD arrived today, thanks to Bass Directs's fantastic service (and price).

Looks like this will do the trick. It's a lot more configurable compared to the BDDI, and much less coloured. I won't get a chance to try it through a rig until the 5th, but I have a feeling there will be a BDDI I up for sale soon.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help, hopefully this will cure my rig GAS for another few years.