Why become a member? ×

Onboard preamp issues and uneven string volumes?!

First post in this section, pretty sure this is the place for it.
Basically, I'm having an issue with the preamp in my Fanndec 6 string, but I'm at a serious loss as to what it could be! Its a 9v 3 band EQ (bass, mid, treble) with a master volume and pickup blend. It works fine, except the bass control, which seems to add a layer of distortion at its furthest + level. As its one sealed unit (unknown make) I can't really do much with it, other than change it for a new preamp and hope that sorts it. Before I do take that plunge though, would there be any suggestions as to what has caused this to occur? I'm quite handy with a soldering iron, so can check wiring etc quite easily, I just don't know where to start?!

Also, I'm experiencing some volume level differences across the strings, notably on the G and C# being significantly louder than the lower strings. I've tried changing the pickup height and saddles to try and alleviate this, but no success so far. Any thoughts on this also?
Can try and upload some pics of the preamp cavity if anyone thinks this would help diagnosis?

Cheers,
Mark

With the bass control running into distortion, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just running out of headroom. That's one of the reasons why some makers opt for 18V preamps.

Regarding the string balance - what is the tuning of your strings? And is the set you are using intended for that tuning?

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1402186511' post='2470890']
With the bass control running into distortion, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just running out of headroom. That's one of the reasons why some makers opt for 18V preamps.

Regarding the string balance - what is the tuning of your strings? And is the set you are using intended for that tuning?
[/quote]

I thought that may be the case (running out of headroom) Although it doesn't really bother me that much, I tend to leave the eq flat on the bass and use the amp instead, maybe dialing in slight changes during performance, it was still niggling in my mind as to what it could be.

The current strings are Roto swing 66s, 130-30 (I think anyways, haven't changed them since I got it - round wound, red silks) and tuned to Eb (half step down from standard). Had them on a few basses I used to own before I got this one, so I know roughly how they'd sound. Will get a new set on tomorrow and see if that changes anything

[quote name='Davebassics' timestamp='1402210779' post='2470937']
When you hit distortion is it at the very end of the pot of does it fade in as you approach the end? If it is only at the very end then in may be a faulty pot. I have had this, the pot creates an open circuit right at the end and the thing goes haywire.
[/quote]

Hi, yes it fades in as it approaches the end of the pots turn, which (to me, anyway) sort of confirms the pre amp running out of headroom as suggested before

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1402242547' post='2471258']
If there's room for another battery, the mod to 18v is quite easy and cheap!
[/quote]

...if the pre-amp supports 18v..! Check the spec first, or take a risk...

Re string volume. Firstly I'd try changing the strings - you may have a duff set, or something has caused the other strings to go dull/quiet in comparison to the top two. What is inside the pickups? I've had experience with split coil pickups that weren't evenly balanced, meaning that one side of the pickup seems quieter than the other.. In the live context, is it a massive problem? Being the higher strings it can be useful to maintain presence in the mix of a band/soloing..

The most helpful thing is to eliminate possibilities. Is it just on the open strings, or is it consistent all the way up the neck? I'm thinking of whether it's a resonance thing or a technical thing. Maybe the nut is loose on the lower side of the neck, something like that… Food for thought I hope. !

Cheers all for your suggestions! Took it to my tech over the weekend, turns out there was a slightly loose wire I hadn't noticed, which got rid of the distortion-y sound when re-soldered. Plus a new set of strings fixed the volume issues. Simple things, but emminently annoying!
Cheers for the feedback though, I love this place!!