Why become a member? ×

Performer royalties

Roland Rock

Say a band have a million-selling hit with a cover version. My understanding of royalties is as follows:

- Mechanical royalties (CDs/downloads/stream sales) go to the songwriter
- Performance royalties (plays on radio, shops playing songs etc) go to the songwriter

What income does the band get? I know it's a portion of the income from the mechanical side, but not sure what it's called, and how it is paid.
Also, how would bands normally split this income?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1402077458' post='2469898']
Say a band have a million-selling hit with a cover version. My understanding of royalties is as follows:

- Mechanical royalties (CDs/downloads/stream sales) go to the songwriter
- Performance royalties (plays on radio, shops playing songs etc) go to the songwriter

[/quote]

Which is why, if you're an originals, band you MUST sort out the music credits at the start.

Steve

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1402078190' post='2469906']
Also don't forget PPL, a different collection agency from PRS,
Especially if you are a band performer or studio player,
and not part of the writing team.

http://www.ppluk.com/About-Us/Who-We-Are/
[/quote]

Ah yes. It seems that it's PPL payments are what I'm asking about, thanks. So what's normally a band split for these payments?

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1402080640' post='2469935']
http://www.ppluk.com/I-Make-Music/Understanding-Your-Payments/How-is-money-distributed/
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Here's as close as I could get:

"In most instances, performer royalties are divided between the performers listed on a single recording, either based upon their contribution to that recording or as agreed privately."

I guessed that it can be split differently depending on band agreement, but was wondering what the split USUALLY is for your average drums/vocals/guitar/bass band?

Edited by Roland Rock

For PPL, you can register as an individual.
That way any sessions (recordings) you do for any one else in the future will also come your way.
You do have to provide proof of you being on recorded sessions when joining (or at some point),
This could be union contracts, letters from agents/fixers, record/production companies, pay slips etc.

Link to payment schedules relating to various countries.
http://www.ppluk.com/I-Make-Music/Understanding-Your-Payments/When-will-I-get-paid/