Why become a member? ×

URGENT: Bass Setup needed in Bristol

I need help I'm afraid :(

I've got a big gig coming up on Friday and Saturday and have managed need some work done on a Stingray 5 string.

I'm sure it's pretty simple, but I need the action looked at as it's rather high for my tastes. Whereas I have no issue with setting up basses such as Fenders, I always struggle with Stingrays and havemade things worse with my meddling.

So, does anyone know of a tech in the Bristol area who could look at this for me at very, very short notice?

There is a beer or 2 in it for anyone who can point me in the right direction :)

One option is to have a minor tweak of the truss rod. If you google Musicman truss rod wheel the diagram will come up showing which way is correct. You probably already know that!

Unless the saddles are really high, I would keep them as they are and just adjust the rod....strings tuned as normal, just use a small tool, small amounts, then check again.

I had to adjust the rod on my Ray 5 HS and Classic Ray 5. The Ray 5 HS was too high, sorted. The Classic Ray 5 was WAY too low (almost touching the board due to weather changes etc)....I've found adjusting the action higher seems to react quicker than the other way round.

Edited by Musicman20

I don't think Tom Waghorn's doing repairs & setups anymore.

I'd recommend [b]Dave Rowlinson[/b] [url="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rowlinson-Guitar-Repair"]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rowlinson-Guitar-Repair[/url]
He previously worked for Tom. Did a nice defret job on an old Ibanez for me, pretty good.
His number is 07581 515190

Thanks for the feedback guys

I ended up speaking to Tom Rowlinson but unfortunately he's not taking any more work as he's moving up North shortly. He in turn put me in contact with Simon who used to do set ups at his place.

Simon has very kindly offered to see me tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on :)