Why become a member? ×

(Another) Bass guitar fenix by young chang

[quote name='the hand of john curley' timestamp='1401476584' post='2464095']
I had a white one of these when they came out. Bloody heavy, but brilliant build quality and great sound.
[/quote]

Now that I've got it I'm curious as too how old it is - the seller said he thought it was 20 then said 27 years old - not sure if that sounds right. do you recall when you got yours?
He also said that it had been used on a Tears for Fears album... :o :huh:

I'd agree about the heavy & build quality - sounds great but the pots are a bit crackly - I've tried cleaning them but will probably need to replace them . I'm loving the bonkers cracked finish! :)

Young Chang was the Korean factory which Fender used when they transferred the bulk of Squier production from Japan to Korea, which was, I think, around 1988.

Fenixes with the Fender headstock were an excercise in naughtiness by Young Chang, when they basically badged up Squier production with their own brand name - so this bass & other Fenixes with a Fender headstock are late 80s or maybe just early 90s. When Fender got wind of the Fenix brand & its similarities to their own product, they transferred production elsewhere & prevented Young Chang (presumably with lawsuit threats) from using the Fender headstock design.

If the bass has a serial it should be consistent with MIK Squier serials from the same era, as far as I know.

Jon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier#Korean_Squiers

87-88, then.

I have a Fenix Strat, cost a whole £35 from my local car boot, Fender headstock, same E-serial. Lovely player, probably the nicest Strat I've played.

J.