Why become a member? ×

Dirty Pink Jazz 5 Build

Rumple

As you may or may not know I had a 5 string Jazz built for me a few years ago ( [b]http://tinyurl.com/ng5n5wa[/b] ) it was a thing of beauty and sounded great but I later discovered I prefer 34" scales length basses

plus it was quite heavy and I suffered after every rehearsal so I sadly moved it on.

Jump forward to 2014 and I'm again hankering for a 5 string Jazz, I also love the process of designing and having a bass built for me so over the last 9 months I have slowly accumulated some

parts to have another 5 string Jazz bass made for me and I've asked the talented Dave (Nugget) to build it for me.

It's going to be kinda Vintage Fender-ish but mixed with other ideas taken from more modern copies, so....

Dirty Pink Nitro, somewhere between Shell Pink and Fiesta Red with some dirt on it, to be exact R.170 G.133 B132.

Cream pickguard - no bell plate.

BBOT style bridge but a bit heavier.

Soapbar Humbuckers.

2 Rotary switches for coil/pick-up selection, PIO cap on tone, Volume. side mounted jack.

34" scale, 17mm at the bridge, 45mm at the nut.

Rosewood fingerboard with cream dots and binding, vintage gloss tint, back of the neck matted down a bit.

Hipshot Ultralites.

Not sure about the decal yet, I'll probably go for 'Homage Jazz Bass' again but in a script font, not the Fender one though, font suggestions welcome.

Parts Purchased:

Ebay bought unbranded and unfinished 5 string Jazz neck.

Ebay bought 4 string unfinished Alder Jazz shaped body.

Ebay Chinese made bridge.

Basschat bought Delano dual and quad core soapbar humbuckers.

Hipshot Lic. Ultralites from the US via Ebay.

R.

Edited by Rumple

[quote name='Westie9' timestamp='1401192019' post='2460940']
Plenty of pics along the way please?
[/quote]

I will do my best, Dave will not be starting working on it for about a month due to other projects including the repair on my Fender RW Jazz :)

This is a pic of the neck which will be having it's fingerboard replaced with either dark rosewood or ebony with dot markers and a binding.

[attachment=163710:P1000984 lr.jpg]

This is a Photoshop swatch of the dirty pink, depending on the quality and calibration of your monitor it might not be an accurate representation of the colour, especially with all the white surrounding it in the post.

[attachment=163711:Dirty Pink.jpg]

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1401281499' post='2461975']
I remember your old build, still the best looking jazz I ever saw.
[/quote]

Thank you :) I was tempted to build something extremely similar again but in 34" scale and a lot lighter, but that would be covering old ground.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1401282730' post='2461994']

Thank you :) I was tempted to build something extremely similar again but in 34" scale and a lot lighter, but that would be covering old ground.
[/quote]

Yeah, a pointless excersise if you've done it before.
I've always wanted a nice ebony board on my Yamaha but thought it an expensive mod, looks like more and more people are having boards changed though so I might fish around for some quotes.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a couple of snaps of the rough Alder body I picked up on Ebay, it's for a four string and has a front facing cavity for a bell plate so there's still plenty of work for Dave to do to get it modified for a 5 string and ready for painting.

Dave has almost finished repairing my RW Jazz and hopes to have it done in the next couple of weeks, that will free him up to start work on the Dirty Pink Jazz.

[attachment=165084:DSC06507 lr.jpg] [attachment=165085:DSC06509 lr.jpg]

• 2 weeks later...

Dave popped in today to deliver my RW Jazz back to me that he has done a lovely job of repairing :)

We got to chatting about the Dirty Pink Jazz 5 and at his suggestion for sound reasons of both economics and logistics I've made a few changes to the spec, I'm now going to keep the blocks that are already on the neck and forgo the binding, Dave measured my SR five neck to get dimensions for slimming the neck down to something I'm more comfortable with.

Dave's on the look out for a company to mix the paint colour as it doesn't seem to quite match any standard RAL colours, which in my book is a good thing as long as it doesn't make it too expensive.

Work should start in a few weeks time, he will be doing the body 1st.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay! Dave has made a start on the bass.

"Taken 4mm off the body width to reduce weight 10%.

Re Routed the radius on the edge of the back side after taking 4mm off.

Routed out the control cavity to go right through the body for rear access.

Made an infill bit to fill the control cavity at the top and glued it in."

[attachment=166072:DSC07012.JPG] [attachment=166073:DSC07016.JPG] [attachment=166074:DSC07021.JPG]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404384175' post='2492081']
Wow, that looks like fairly radical surgery! :)
[/quote]

The body I bought was very only roughly shaped and finished so it would have needed a lot of tidying up anyway, I asked Dave to reduce the body size a bit if he could to save on weight, if all the calculations are right it will reduce it quite a bit which is good because the Delano pups weigh one pound! something I hadn't thought about when amassing the parts for this build.

Control cavity has been routed, holes drilled to connect the control cavity to the pup ones and a cover made that will be painted the same colour as the body.

Here's one pic, I've run out of space so need to clear some old pics from basschat to make room for new ones.

[attachment=166146:DSC07279.JPG]

Dave has filled the lugs from the original Jazz Bass pup cavities and routed new ones for the Delano's and drilled holes for the pick-up wires.

[attachment=166539:DSC07245.JPG] [attachment=166540:DSC07278.JPG]

Edited by Rumple

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1405081894' post='2498657']
Dave has filled the lugs from the original Jazz Bass pup cavities and routed new ones for the Delano's and drilled holes for the pick-up wires.
[/quote]

Oh come on, that [i]is [/i]radical surgery!! :D

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1401193937' post='2460964']
This is a Photoshop swatch of the dirty pink...
[/quote]

Wait, isn't that... Burgundy Mist?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405082394' post='2498665']
Wait, isn't that... Burgundy Mist?
[/quote]

I think it might be somewhere between Burgundy Mist and Shell Pink with a splash of black, I've never seen a genuine BM instrument so maybe it is! but going by the RGB breakdown of the colour on paint charts it's not the same.

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1405084281' post='2498700']
Loving it so far.
I think I'd be tempted to leave the pickguard off:-@
[/quote]

Always open to suggestions :)

I thought a cream scratchplate might set the pink off nicely and also stop it being too much PINK, I'm sure I'll see the body in the flesh or at least in pics before the plate goes on so I can decide then.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1405086264' post='2498737']
I thought a cream scratchplate might set the pink off nicely...
[/quote]

If the swatch is anything to go by, a 3-ply mint/black/mint guard would be class. In my humble opinion, of course.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405087306' post='2498752']
If the swatch is anything to go by, a 3-ply mint/black/mint guard would be class. In my humble opinion, of course.
[/quote]

I have one of Howard's mint 3 ply on my Fiesta Red RW Jazz, looks very nice indeed :)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1405090952' post='2498785']
I have one of Howard's mint 3 ply on my Fiesta Red RW Jazz, looks very nice indeed :)
[/quote]

Ah, excellent. I think there would be something about dirty pink and mint that's just, well... dirty. :gas:

A bit more surgery has taken place over the weekend, because the body was originally meant for a 4 string a bit of extra wood was added so it could then be routed for a 5er, the neck has had a few mm shaved off of it and drilled for the bolts to fit it to the body.

[attachment=166732:DSC07027.JPG] [attachment=166733:DSC07302.JPG] [attachment=166734:DSC07346.JPG]

• 2 months later...

Just been catching up with Dave on the progress of this build and he's sent me some new pics, off the back of them he's going to increase the size of the decal as I think it looks a bit lost and he's kindly agreed to make the rear cavity a bit bigger, it's fine as it is as the bass will be passive but I'd like it a tad bigger should at some point in the future I decide to add a pre amp.

The scratchplate in the pictures is a template not the real thing.

Colour swatches have been sent off to a second paint supplier as the 1st one let Dave down.

[attachment=171695:DSC00012.JPG] [attachment=171696:DSC00009.JPG] [attachment=171697:DSC00007.JPG] [attachment=171698:DSC00018.JPG [attachment=171699:DSC00016.JPG]