Why become a member? ×

Cheap but worn MIJ Bass Collection

I'm thinking of the other thread where you were saying that your BC SB310 compared quite well to your very high level other basses. And it's on for £120 posted! OK, so it's got a few chips or wear marks. But everything that's actually important to playing seems to be in good nick. That's beginner bass money for something that compares to much higher level stuff.

Thanks for the comments, folks! ;) Although eBay's more expensive to sell on, I've more feedback on there thanks to my lengthy feedback profile of 13 years. I'm a relative unknown on here, especially for selling, but naturally would never mention my auctions in keeping with forum rules (I waited until the auction ended before replying here). Selling on here's always an option though so perhaps one day I'll make the switch - I have bought from here and am always trawling the gear for sale.

As for the bass, as my Aria SB-R60 went the other day and has now paid for some repairs to my car, I can keep hold of this one now and will see about addressing some of the cosmetic issues. I've found a seller with a full set of MIJ Gotohs as used on this, so I'll at least get the missing tuner cap and the slightly bent tuner sorted (stuff like that niggles me!). I'm trying to convince myself to not refinish it after the work involved in stripping on the last refinish I did! :D

I had a fretless version in this finish about 10 years ago and a 5-string a few years after that and always regret letting them go. Excellent basses for the money, but as Kodiakblur said, nothing stands out about them until you play one, when their qualities become apparent. When my mate had one many moons ago in the mid-90s, I thought it looked like a beginner bass and asked him if he got it from Argos. And then I played it and shut my mouth. Of course, he wouldn't part with it once I took a shine to it!

That's actually probably close to the truth - the Tanglewood Rebel has also obviously borrowed from the looks of the BC310.

I was offered £40 for it by one fellow, with a few offers in the £60 - £80 range which I politely declined (and led to me putting in the comment about the price). Still, replacement set of tuners ordered and I'll keep the originals as spares. The refinish mulling goes on, but I'm swinging more towards leaving as-is at the mo. There's a thread in there if I do go with a refinish (thinks back to Jazz bass sanding and shudders!) ;)

Think the name never did them any favours either, did the Bass Centre no have something to do with that ?

It's all strange I was speaking to a guy over on TalkBass and pointed out two SX licensed versions he had, no just knock off copies. They'd thought
enough of the brand to get approval.He loved them.

I paid £125 for mines s/h in 95 only ever had to replace a tuner.

Still your car's fixed an you still got a great bass.

@Green Alsatian - if the bass had been fretless and you'd put it on for £120 posted, then there is a fair chance you wouldn't own it now :)

Those offers are just ridiculous. Though, I put lowball bids like that on ebay listings all the time, so maybe I shouldn't complain. But I think it's a bit different when you actually make an offer, rather than just bid low.

Edited by Annoying Twit