Why become a member? ×

Sibelius

Bilbo

I just got hold of a book called 'Sibelius: a comprehensive guide to Sibelius Music Notation Software' by Thomas Rudolph and Vincent Leonard. Got it from Amazon Marketplace for less than £12. Its incredibly easy to use and has really opened some doors (and reduced a lot of wasted time) on the software for me.

I just wanted to register how useful this software is, not only in preparing charts and composing, but also for transcribing and study. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't got it already! Probably a lot more use than a third, fourth or fifth bass!!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='242496' date='Jul 18 2008, 10:56 AM']I just got hold of a book called 'Sibelius: a comprehensive guide to Sibelius Music Notation Software' by Thomas Rudolph and Vincent Leonard. Got it from Amazon Marketplace for less than £12. Its incredibly easy to use and has really opened some doors (and reduced a lot of wasted time) on the software for me.

I just wanted to register how useful this software is, not only in preparing charts and composing, but also for transcribing and study. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't got it already! Probably a lot more use than a third, fourth or fifth bass!![/quote]

Sibelius is probably the best, but a little OTT for most players unless you need scoring capabilities. FWIW, these days I use Finale Printmusic, it has the jazz fonts, it will do midi, chords and transposes all my charts. You can even play live to it, but it does not track low register well. £50 or $50 USD, depending on who you buy from.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='242496' date='Jul 18 2008, 10:56 AM']I just got hold of a book called 'Sibelius: a comprehensive guide to Sibelius Music Notation Software' by Thomas Rudolph and Vincent Leonard. Got it from Amazon Marketplace for less than £12. Its incredibly easy to use and has really opened some doors (and reduced a lot of wasted time) on the software for me.

I just wanted to register how useful this software is, not only in preparing charts and composing, but also for transcribing and study. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't got it already! Probably a lot more use than a third, fourth or fifth bass!![/quote]
I'll pass this on to Mrs B2BM. She's learning to use Sibelius for composing classical pieces, and coming up with some nifty stuff. She has it linked in with sample suite Garritan, so she can actually hear her orchestral scores played back audibly.

Sibelius was fantastic for me when I was at college about 5 years ago, but it’s so complex and in-depth for me now. I doubt I'm likely to ever use it again, but it's an amazing piece of software for scoring or composing.

I use Sibelius too, excellent program. I barely noticed a difference between V4 and V5 though. I wouldn't think you'd really need a guide though, its quite intuitive and you can get to grips with most things just by poking around and experimenting.

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='Oscar South' post='243375' date='Jul 19 2008, 02:52 PM']Heh I was just looking through my old library of Sibelius compositions, some interesting stuff, we should do some 'basschat sibelius collaboration' where we could pass around various uncompleted parts and have people add to or edit them.[/quote]

That sounds like it could be fun :)