Why become a member? ×

EMG 24v Mod

[attachment=163309:24v.jpg]

My Squier Jag SS VM bass has a set of EMG PJX pickups. I wouldn't be able to use a harness made from three battery clips to add a second battery for the essential 18v mod as it hardly has room for a single 9v battery. Instead I made this little fella to hold a pair of 23A 12V batteries (car alarm plipper type). The battery holders and battery clips came from ebay sellers in China.

Not done much of a sound test to see how much if any improvement there is in the sound, but I didn't kill the pickups - the important thing to remember when soldering the battery holder to the clip is that the red wire on the holder needs to be soldered to the black wire on the clip & vice-versa.

I have the parts to make another but I'm waiting for some more batteries so I'll make another for my '81 precision which also has an EMG but is currently powered by 18 volts using an AAA battery holder full of the button cells you find inside 23A batteries.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

I've done exactly the same mod to my EMG equipped basses.

Found an eBay seller a couple of years ago selling the 24v mod and brought some but then he'd shut up shop. Like yourself, decided to buy the A23 battery clip and make my own. Now, when the A23 cells die, just pop in another couple and all in less space than a standard 9v.

In terms of moving from 18v to 24v, no, I've not noticed any difference between both but did so moving between 9v and 18v.

The batteries in my P were still good after a couple of years, but i don't use that one much so that isn't much of an indication.

The test will be the jaguar which is my main rehearsal & gigging bass, but EMGs need very little power and I've only put the batteries in recently so I doubt they'll need replacing for a while. I'll post an update to this thread when I do change them — if I remember.

If your basses can already fit a pair of 9v batteries I don't think you'd need the 24v mod thing as there's no difference sound-wise between 18v & 24v as far as I can tell and I expect the battery life will be shorter.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1401268843' post='2461760']
If your basses can already fit a pair of 9v batteries I don't think you'd need the 24v mod thing as there's no difference sound-wise between 18v & 24v as far as I can tell and I expect the battery life will be shorter.
[/quote]

This!

9v to 18v is a sizeable difference I've found. 18v > 24v hardly audible.

However, what I love is that I've got 24v in the space (or less so) in the space of a 9v.

Dood, my first couple of 24v cells from eBay lasted a good 6 to 9 months (maybe more) of regular playing and gigging so pretty good life.

Thanks guys! - I think I'll stick with the 18 then! :) Much appreciated. Great mod though. I think it'll be good for those running just 9v. Thinking about it I do have a bass with no space for a second battery... Hmmmm ;o)

EMG pickups can take 27 volts safely. The factory website has a section on mods and powering tips. Hmm. Not wanting to cut any on my instrument, and seeing that EMG active pickups only take milliamps which results in extended battery life, I might have to look into this mod for my bass.