Why become a member? ×

Can anyone recommend a 1U rack mounted Power Amp?

jazzyvee

I'm having problems with my Mesa boogie walkabout head and it failed on a recent gig, strange noises out of the DI and the on -stage sound kept disappearing so i daren't take it out again. So I'm looking for something to use instead.
I have a backup rack mount pre-amp in a 3u case that I use when travelling light to a gig so I can plug direct into the return socket on a back line amp, but if I can get a decent 1u rack mount power amplifier I could use this instead of the Mesa boogie. The Mesa is [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]300 Watts @ 4 Ohms or 165 @ 8) so something along those iines would fine as long as it will fit [/size][/font]an SKB Shallow 3U "X" Rack case and not be too heavy.

Solid state would be my preference as the pre-amp is valve driven.
Jazzyvee

I once borrowed Happy Jack's 1U W-Audio Horizon power amp which bridged at 1100W @ 8ohms (I think) and was [i]seriously [/i]hefty. Not sure about current availability but I assume they must be offering something similar atm?

Edited by discreet

Behringer's EPQ900 would do the job. Just ignore their claimed power figures. It will easily replace a 300 watt amp though, weighs 10.8 lbs, 1U and fits in a shallow case.

The downsides - right to left airflow could be a problem in a rack case if you run it really hard, though mine got barely warm. Noisy fans - not great for home practice or recording.