Why become a member? ×

iBass

Badass

I've just had an email informing me that iBass is now available on Android: [url="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bdfaadcccb.deabdfaadcccb"]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bdfaadcccb.deabdfaadcccb[/url]

I presume this is just the app to subscribe to the mag? If so anyone know what the subs are, and more importantly, is it worth it?

I seem to recall they had some problems a while back. I hope all's fine now.

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1400682529' post='2456050']
I've just had an email informing me that iBass is now available on Android: [url="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bdfaadcccb.deabdfaadcccb"]https://play.google....b.deabdfaadcccb[/url]

I presume this is just the app to subscribe to the mag? If so anyone know what the subs are, and more importantly, is it worth it?

I seem to recall they had some problems a while back. I hope all's fine now.
[/quote]

AS far as I can tell, you get the app (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/ibass-magazine-bass-guitar/id571010369?mt=8) and then can buy various back and current issues as the desire suits. Much better than paying a subscription and receiving 12 months of articles and adverts (roughly weighted 40/60) with quite a lot of content you're not particularly interested in. I wholeheartedly support the iBass approach, which allows you to choose what it is you want to read - more or less :)
I stopped subscribing to a certain well known bass mag purely because I felt the content had a rather limited focus, reviews were all full of platitudes and paragraphs extolling the virtues of a certain bit of gear and then, lo and behold, a full or half page advert for said bit of gear. I know mags need advertising to exist but honesty and integrity should be the mainstay of the mags content. Sorry, off my soapbox now...

I was given a free first issue when I subscribed. Cost was £13.99 I think. I'm not sure of the valuenof this as all the interviews are based mostly on youtube videos. That's fine but they always end up available to evreyone on youtube itself. I'm sure I had seen one video on youtube before I received the paid copy. I might be wrong of course.

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
Hi guys, [/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
Thanks for this post. [/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
Just to give you a heads up about what's happening with the magazine. We have been a year or two in the making and we did have some problems finding our feet, but now we're up and running on the Google Play Store for Android (OS 4.3 or higher) and the Apple Newsstand for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. [/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
The app is free to download and then you have the option to purchase individual issues or to subscribe. The mag is now available monthly and priced at £1.49 per issue or £13.99 for a 12 month subscription. There's also a one month free trial when you subscribe.[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
Regarding the YouTube videos, we have made some of our videos public. This was done mainly as a PR tool to help spread the word while we get established, but we'll be cutting that back as we grow, and there's a lot more exclusive video content to be found inside each issue as our interviews are usually in two or three parts. [/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
I hope that helps. [/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
We'd love your feedback, so feel free to get in touch with any suggestions.[/size][/font][font=Helvetica][size=3]
[email protected][/size][/font]

Definitely worth a punt for £1.49 then. I've got a nice new 8" Android tablet that needs some good mag content :) I've always enjoyed (our very own) Dood's reviews too.

Hmm, just thought of an idea... all reviews are for brand new products. What about reviews of older gear? Not just classic 70s Fender Jazz's, but basses such as the must-loved SGC Nanyo Bass Collections, Aria Pro IIs etc. I'm sure the Basschat community could help Dood out with a loan of some examples.

I really like iBass and almost always access via my iPad mini. Works really well in iPad format for me. I dip in and out and watch / listen to stuff where and when I want on a device I often have out with me (on trains etc.).

[quote name='nick@ibassmag' timestamp='1400751642' post='2456576']

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
Regarding the YouTube videos, we have made some of our videos public. This was done mainly as a PR tool to help spread the word while we get established, but we'll be cutting that back as we grow, and there's a lot more exclusive video content to be found inside each issue as our interviews are usually in two or three parts. [/size][/font]

[/quote]

Thanks for the info, Nick. Good to know it will be worth it. I love the video interview format. The annual sub has been worth it for the Gwizdala and Willis interviews alone, in my everso 'umble opinion, of course.