Why become a member? ×

Pickups chat

Uberkate

So, I recently had my guitar nicked (a Mexican '72 reissue Fender Tele) and have just picked up a second-hand Mex Strat for a decent price so I'll have something to practise and gig with next week.

I had modded my Tele with a Little 59 in the bridge, and am probably going to want to upgrade the Strat too. I've had a look at Bare Knuckles (quite pricey mind) and other boutique brands (the Creamery etc.) but am probably going to go with SD again unless anybody has any other ideas?

The style I played is fuzzy, 90s style guitar power pop, we get compared to people like Superchunk, Best Coast, etc. so am looking to basically get back a similar sound to what I had before. Here's my bandcamp for reference. 'Conkers' is probably the best example of the sonic range that I like.
https://personalbest.bandcamp.com/

I play through an Orange Rocker 30 combo, and use a MXR 78 badass for lead boosts, and have just picked up a Little Big Muff and a Biyang OD-10 (budget Tubescreamer copy). So I think I've got the fuzzy aspect sorted - shall I stick with the Little 59 or is there anything else I should be looking at?

Edited by Uberkate

I'm pretty sure you can send pickups back to the UK distributor of SD if you're not happy with them. They will exchange it for another for you to try. I'd give them a ring on Monday if I were you to check. They are Rossetti - [color=#3B3B3B][font=Verdana][size=3][b]01376 550033[/b][/size][/font][/color]

If you like the Little '59 in your Tele that'd be a great place to start. Given that you're using a lot of Fuzz it could be cool.

Good luck!

Edited by Chiliwailer

I would try some UK handwinders like Catswhisker or Mojo (not Mojotone, they're US) if you're finding the other two you mentioned a bit pricey. You can e-mail them your requirements and they'll make something to your spec. I have a Catswhisker in my Baritone Tele which I like, never tried Mojo though. My other guitars have Bare Knuckles and naturally they are great, but pricey. The Creamery are next on my list to try for Jaguar or Wide Range pick-ups.

Edited by Mr Arkadin

Looking at your genre and your current signal chain I'd stick with the SD.

59 into a 78 BadAss into an Orange is quite a 'flavoured' sound. If your Little 59 has been doing the business so far, you probably don't want to change that combination.

I had a listen - I liked Conkers, but the chords are far too clever for punk. ;)

It sounds to me like you could do with a tele-sized P90 - I think that would give you a lot more clarity, bite and string separation than a little '59, while still working well with fuzz. Try a BG Pickups T90 - Bryan is well thought of as a winder, and I've known him through Harmony Central for about 10 years.

http://bg-pups.com/teles/t90-bridge/

• 4 weeks later...