Why become a member? ×

SOLD FS 1988 Warwick Thumb 6 NT
£1800

johnthebassist

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Thumb 6 #27 for sale only. I'm happy to consider offers, but no trades thanks (unless it's a vintage Fender!).[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]I've deliberated over this for a while and I've decided I have to let this one go. It's an immense bass with incredible tone and sustain and the best neck I've ever played. Action is low, neck is absolutely flat as a board and it plays perfectly.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]I bought the bass for £1800 from The Gallery in 2012 and that's what I'[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]d like to sell it for.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]I'm selling to fund a vintage Fender. My main project is going for a much more traditional, old-school sound that will leave this bass sitting on a stand getting dusty. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]The only sign of any wear or use whatsoever is a hint of the obligatory thumb mark above the "neck" pickup.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]This is a very early model, only the 27th built. It has schaller tuners and strap-locks and the original headstock with the bevel at the rear.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Here's what Warwick founder and owner Hans Peter Wilfer told me about it:[/size][/font][/color]

[quote][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][i]...indeed your Bass is one of the first Thumb NT 6 strings
I made by my self....

Here the informations to your very cool and nice Warwick Thumb Bass NT 6 string
Bass from 1988

- First: we presented the Thumb NT 6 string in 1987 on the Frankfurt Show so your
Bass was made in September 1988 and is still one of the first.. the
Number 27 !! very rare for sure

- Bass Thumb Bass NT
6 string
Serial Number J 027 88
Year 1988
Month September
Number 027
Neck Wood Wenge Wood
Fingerboard Wenge Wood
with Dots in the Fingerboard (one of the last we did it !)
Frets Bronce Warwick Frets
Nut Just a Nut Brass Version
Neck construction Neckthrough construction hiddenneck
Body 3 pcs. solid pommele Bubinga Wood
Surface Oil Finish / BeeWax
Pickups Bartolini Soapbar Humbucker
Electronic 2 Band MEC Electronic
Hardware Made by Schaller for Warwick
Made in Germany / 91330 Eggolsheim / Franconia[/i][/font][/size][/font][/color][/quote]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]The fingerboard actually looks more like Tigerstripe Ebony, but who am I to argue?![/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]I've used this bass to great effect on a number of recordings and many performances at venues and festivals around the UK. [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ_n1VMcO_0"]Here's some video/audio of it in action:[/url][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Any questions, please drop me a line.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Thanks for reading,[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]John[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by johnthebassist

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Despite being capable of making nothing more than a complete mess in woodwork class in my school days, I'm more than happy to accept that compliment on behalf of Hans Peter Wilfer![/size][/font][/color]

String spacing is 16mm

Edited by johnthebassist

12.5 lb! I bought a 5" wide strap and reinforced it, so it's not too bad. Played a 90minute set on it at Cheltenham Jazz Fest a couple of weeks back and I'm still standing. I'm a couple of inches shorter now, mind ;)

Edited by johnthebassist

This really must be one of the best sounding Warwicks ever made, you just don't get that tone without a heavy pieces of bubinga and wenge, amazing :) Wish I was still in a position to buy!

Cheers Kev. It really is a brutal sounding bass. That said, fat bottomed, plump tones are there to be had for the mellower stuff too. We dropped a [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7LKNJR39f5c#t=315"]Fela Kuti cover[/url] a couple of times recently and this bass certainly didn't sound out of place...

Edited by johnthebassist

Thanks Phil - you certainly know your way around yours very well indeed!

Weight is by no means unsubstantial. That said, I use a 5" wide leather strap with mine and it helps an awful lot. I'd be quite happy to donate it with the bass ;)

Edited by johnthebassist