Why become a member? ×

What bass is this?

Annoying Twit

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1399996747' post='2449736']
It has an air of Rick Turner about it.
[/quote]

Do you mean like this?

http://www.rickturnerguitars.com/model-1-guitar-mahogany.php

Mike Chunn at that time wasn't making large amounts of money, so a luthier built instrument is unlikely. This video was from 1976 I think. Or thereabouts.

It's an odd looking thing, and I wonder what it is.

It looks like a Maton Slenderline. I couldn't find any finish resembling the deep brown of Mike Chunn's bass. And the Maton instruments I found had different logos on them. But, it could be a refinish or just another model in the range that isn't easily found via google images. I've done a google search on "Mike Chunn" "Maton", and found nothing. But that doesn't prove anything - absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

The second video is the bands second bassplayer, Nigel Griggs. It's said that he had a Rickenbacker 4001s previous to joining Split Enz. So I'd assume (not necessarily correctly) that the bass in the video above is the same one. http://www.rickbeat.com/photofeatures/pauldavid/pauldavid.htm

BTW: Can i just point out that they are a band from New Zealand. They were popular in Australia as well, but the band themselves say that they're careful to point out their origins when they're described as an Australian band.