Why become a member? ×

P/J Pickup question

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

As some of you may know, I have long championed the Yamaha BB414 as one of the best if not [u]the[/u] best budget P/J configuration basses. I've played them on and off since they were launched and now, still play one as my main gigging bass. I love the tones from the powerful pick-ups but, recently, I've been struggling with it's 9.1lb weight. Despite having a wide, padded strap, I'm getting pains in my shoulder and neck after an hour or more on a gig or rehearsal.

I recently picked up an SCG Nanyo Bass Collection SB301 (passive version of the SB310) on eBay. It's lighter (7.2lbs), seems to balance on the strap better than the BB414 and most importantly, the neck profile feels as though it was custom made for me. The only quibble I have are the pick-ups. Spoilt by the BB414 which has three very usable core tones (neck soloed, bridge soloed or both together), the SB301's pick-ups sound good soloed but, together, they do that P/J 'phase cancellation' thing where you've still got the volume but you've lost that 'bite'. The BB doesn't do this and the mid position on the selector switch is one of my favourite tones when playing live.

Could anyone advise me on a P/J pickup combination I could drop in that would improve the situation or is the position of the pick ups in relation to the bridge always going to cause this problem regardless of pick up selection.

The combination I use is Fender '62 RI and DiMarzio Ultrajazz. Presumably because neither of them is single-coil I don't get that classic J bass mid-scoop when I select both pick ups together. So my suggestion would be to get a split-coil replacement for your bridge pickup.

Check out the Delano website. They have symbols next their different pickups to help you find a match that will alleviate this problem.
Otherwise, Dimarzio Model P/J and Split P/Ultra Jazz bridge work well together.

By the way I just bought your old BB415 off SlapbassSteve. I think it's a brilliant bass for the money and the output match between the pickups is spot on.
I have disc problems in my back and I like the lighter feel of the body on this bass but those BB tuners are HEAVY! Just ordered some Hipshot Lic Ultralites off the 'bay (from the States - much cheaper!)
I put some on an old Jazz bass of mine once that was really heavy and just this simple upgrade shaved off half a pound of the total body weight, which brought in the rest of the bass' centre of gravity nicely around the body area which was much more comfortable to manage.
That half a pound extra at the headstock really adds up. Levers and fulcrums and all that.
Maybe look at lighter tuners for your BB. The Lic Ultralites will be cheaper than a decent set of P/J's for the other bass.

Just a thought from a newly converted BB fan! :)

Good luck either way..

Edited by miles'tone

The phase cancellation thing and the many other idiosyncrasies you get with a typical Fender-style pickup arrangement are caused by a number of factors, not just the design of the pickups. One of the reasonns the Yamaha BB's are not affected in the same way is that the pickups are in very slightly different positions to a Fender PJ setup. The pickup design can also help,but on some basses you are fighting a losing battle in trying to make the sound evenly balanced. An "unbalanced" PJ can still be a very enjoyable and very useful bass , though. :)

Edited by Dingus

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1399816540' post='2447938']
One of the reasonns the Yamaha BB's are not affected in the same way is that the pickups are in very slightly different positions to a Fender PJ setup.
[/quote]

This is what I was thinking. I'm never going to get the SB to sound like the BB because of pickup position