Why become a member? ×

SoundCity 'Fender-look' 4x12 cab (in the North!)
£450

tremblap

CAB ONLY for Whisky only

(please see the last post below, I leave this for searchable archive)

Dear all

I have bought this from Basschat member Dezzy a little more than 2 years ago. I used it once in rehearsal, and once in studio, and the rest of the time in my house. I like its tone but I like it clean and this is not powerful enough for loud and clean, so I bought a Matamp GT-200...

About its age uncertainty: the serial number (A 68546) points at either at non-baseman from 1973, as does the serial on the main transformer (606 3 23) according to this website... but the Bassman charts are pointing at 1976... check this website and let me know if you make any sense of it: [url="http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp6.htm"]http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp6.htm[/url]

And I held on to the Fender as it is almost as old as (or older than) me, and I am an old romantic... I had it checked, cleaned, tweaked and re-valved by Andrew from Matamp last year and it sounds fab... but in my playing habits it is either too loud (for home guitar playing) or too soft (for loud free improv!) so it is sulking in a corner... as I move house, I decided to let it go.

I sell it for what I've paid for it - in the good BC ethos - and I absorb the cleaning job as my own development in the tube world!

Pictures attached. Cab has been rewired as 4 Ohms as the amp needs this impedance!

pa

[attachment=162391:IMG_2989.JPG]
[attachment=162386:IMG_2990.JPG]
[attachment=162389:IMG_2991.JPG]
[attachment=162387:IMG_2992.JPG]
[attachment=162390:IMG_2994.JPG]
[attachment=162388:IMG_2993.JPG]

Edited by tremblap

Very nice...I love that Bassman tone when it's cranked. Been looking to pick up either a 100 or 135 at some point...and I drive past Huddersfield with work most weeks....mmnnn...must resist!

Good luck with the sale :)

No wish to de-rail your topic, but I just followed your link and read this:

[color=#b22222]Do you have a silverface Twin Reverb Amp or Dual Showman Reverb Amp with the serial number A23373? A lot of people do and here’s a plausible explanation based on the evidence. Sometime in 1970, Fender ordered a bunch of Twin Reverb/Dual Showman Reverb chasses from their supplier. The machine that stamped the serial number into the back of the chassis got stuck on number A23373 and a lot of pieces were stamped with this number. It would have been very costly to destroy these units so two remedies were implemented. First, a foil sticker containing a 4-digit serial number was affixed to the chassis over the A23373. Unfortunately, these often peeled off or were removed by the amp’s owner thus revealing the A23373 number. The second thing that was done was the addition of another number stamped into the chassis as a suffix to the A23373 serial number, e.g. A23373-155.

So how many of these chasses were made? Well, for the 4-digit serials affixed on a foil sticker, numbers as low as 0127 and has high as 3765 have been observed. Assuming they were all used sequentially and starting at 0100, there would be around 3700 non-master volume silverface Twin Reverbs and Dual Showman Reverbs out there. The amps that received the stamped suffix must also be added to this sub-total. The lowest suffix observed to date is A23373-39 and the highest is A23379-2916. Assuming the suffixes started with -01 and went to -3000, there would be around 3000 of these floating around. Of course, this is all hypothetical, but still plausible.[/color]

Wonderful stuff, I'm still falling about laughing ...

This is hilarious indeed! Anyway, it is old, it sounds amazing, but as I move to Berlin and it is a mismatch to my needs (too loud and/or too soft) and I know it would make a BCer happy, I sell it back ;-) I could probably sell it for more to a guitarist but I'm not that evil!