Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a guitar please.

bengreen49

I have a budget of around £450-500 (including bass as part exchange) to treat myself to a half decent guitar. I mostly play rock though I am starting to try different styles so I'm looking for something that's quite versatile.

I've been looking at (on the web) various types of Les Paul, Ibenez RG's, Jackson's and the Squier VM Telecasters but the choice is so vast that I've lost track.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Edited by bengreen49

Most guitars can be used for most styles, so it's more a question of what feels, sounds and looks good to you. If you like to play at the top end of the fretboard then a Les Paul might be frustrating, and if you wanted a thick, hard rock tone then a strat might not be girthy enough without a pickup swap.

Guitars are generally very well made these days, esp in the price range you're looking at, so it's more about ergonomics, aesthetics and finding something that can provide the tones you want.

I spent a long time looking a couple of years back and found Schecter guitars to be good value and of consistently good quality.

All of the ones I played played well and the better ones have features like Seymour Duncan pickups (not Duncan Designed as they are made under licence) and ebony fret boards and are very well put together. You get a high end specced guitar and a big bang for your buck. You can pick them up reasonably 2nd hand too so you will definitely get a nice one in your price range.

Note: If your wanting to play in different styles I would avoid those with active pups as, unlike basses they are too aggressive for some styles in my opinion. On the other hand the passive Duncans handle almost everything your average player would want.

Guitar Guitar seem to have a special relationship with the company as they normally have great deals.

That's ideal, go in and try them They may send you stuff to try from other stores if you see something you like. I spent a lot of time trying guitars and was worried by the inconsistency of some other makes.

I personally have a lot of love for the Tokai ALS48 (Les Paul) our guitarist prefers mine to his proper Gibson LP, pop a set of SD59's in place of the standard pickups and it will sound as good as it looks and plays.

An ALS48 with upgraded pickups should still come in within your budget

I picked up one of these last year - G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe - just a shade under £400 from Thomann. If it's versatility you're after, this has certainly got it. The pickups are coil tapped so you can get a full range of humbucker and single coil sounds. I find it a real pleasure to play. And it's really pretty :)

[url="http://s1187.photobucket.com/user/panamonte/media/GLTS-ASTDCT-TRNSBLK-12001.jpg.html"][/url]

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1399896727' post='2448699']
I picked up one of these last year - G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe - just a shade under £400 from Thomann. If it's versatility you're after, this has certainly got it. The pickups are coil tapped so you can get a full range of humbucker and single coil sounds. I find it a real pleasure to play. And it's really pretty :)

[url="http://s1187.photobucket.com/user/panamonte/media/GLTS-ASTDCT-TRNSBLK-12001.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Now that looks like a lot of guitar for the money!

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1399911411' post='2448875']
Now that looks like a lot of guitar for the money!
[/quote]

It certainly is. I already have a Tribute L2000 so I was confident about the build quality and the hardware and I wasn't disappointed. The carved top is just the icing on the cake!

That G&L is a gorgeous. :gas:

I ended up getting one of these:

[url="http://s88.photobucket.com/user/bengreen49/media/1853_Squier_Vintage_Modified_Tele_Custom_506_zpsd297661e.jpg.html"][/url]
Got it second hand off of Gumtree after deciding to keep the bass and buy something a bit more sensible. It sounds really nice after a string change and a quick set up.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...