Why become a member? ×

IEM/headphone amp recommendations

Jimryan

Afternoon all,

Need a few suggestions from you lot. What I'm after is a personal monitor system. I don't want wireless, all I'm after is a small bodypack. So straight out of my bass, into said bodypack, then one output into headphones and the other going off to my amp. I've already got a set of Shure 315 and some moulded ear pieces fitted to them, I'm just missing the middle bit. After looking online, I really like the Samson S Monitor, but it has to be mains supplied and I'll need a battery powered system.

Cheers,

James

I got a cable made up by obbm which is a standard instrument cable and a stereo headphone cable which run side by side. The headphone bit terminates on a 3.5mm socket to plug my in ears into.

That way you can have a powered personal monitor unit sitting on top of your amp and not have to worry about batteries.

[quote name='xzodar' timestamp='1399579932' post='2445655']
I got a cable made up by obbm which is a standard instrument cable and a stereo headphone cable which run side by side. The headphone bit terminates on a 3.5mm socket to plug my in ears into.

That way you can have a powered personal monitor unit sitting on top of your amp and not have to worry about batteries.
[/quote]

Just sent him a PM about the lead, what system are you using?

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1399647124' post='2446284']

Just sent him a PM about the lead, what system are you using?
[/quote]

I use an Art MyMonitor (similar to the Samson S Monitor) when doing BV's or a Zoom B3 if I just want bass.

Edited by xzodar

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1399564189' post='2445401']
Afternoon all,

Need a few suggestions from you lot. What I'm after is a personal monitor system. I don't want wireless, all I'm after is a small bodypack. So straight out of my bass, into said bodypack, then one output into headphones and the other going off to my amp. I've already got a set of Shure 315 and some moulded ear pieces fitted to them, I'm just missing the middle bit. After looking online, I really like the Samson S Monitor, but it has to be mains supplied and I'll need a battery powered system.

Cheers,

James
[/quote]

Funnily enough I've been trying to achieve this for some time and it's finally come together this week ready to get some feedback at the Bash tomorrow.

Small belt-mounted box with two locking jack sockets, headphone outlet and a volume control, all driven from a PP3. The input/splitter stage uses FETs so is very high-impedance and shouldn't degrade the signal at all.

Further development could be to add an active/passive switch, some tone controls for the headphone amp and perhaps an Aux input so it could be used in conjunction with a wireless receiver for monitoring.

This is purely for my own specific use and I have no intention of going into production.