Why become a member? ×

Live Jazz-tronica Trio (Ableton Live meets jazz) - two multi-cam-HD-videos

urb

Hey Folks

I just launched my new jazz-tronica spin off from my main latin-jazz-funk band J-Sonics - this one simply called J-Sonix - it was a great night as we were support amazing US pianist Marc Cary (who also does this kind of stuff) and it went down really well. The bass and brass are running through my laptop into Ableton Live with all the effects etc - I'm using a Softstep midi controller pedal to switch effects on and off as well as adding in reverb and delays on my bass as and when I want.

I hope you enjoy it - I learned a lot from the experience and while I need to make a few tweaks to the sound and the set overall for a first outing with this thing I was very happy indeed.

Cheers

Mike

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f2r2OaHAKQ[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eobo5FCC2zs[/media]

Edited by urb

• 1 month later...

IN the fine tradition of replying to my own threads I just wanted to share this last clip from this gig - hope to be doing more of this stuff in the near future - hope SOME of you enjoy it, if not - so be it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm5Dq3DCn2I

Peace

I'm digging it. I did something vaguely similar with a Vox/Piano/Bass trio with a friend messing with us via Ableton. It was great vibing off FX that I could not possibly manipulate in real time without a 3rd arm and responding to how he was messing with us. We need more of this stuff.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1402352831' post='2472655']
I'm digging it. I did something vaguely similar with a Vox/Piano/Bass trio with a friend messing with us via Ableton. It was great vibing off FX that I could not possibly manipulate in real time without a 3rd arm and responding to how he was messing with us. We need more of this stuff.
[/quote]

Thanks man - that's what I'm trying to do via the foot-controller (Softstep) and the Macbook keyboard - I think at some point I'd love to get someone to control the electronics via another Mac but it's a case of finding the right person - I'm totally up for it so if you know anyone or if anyone reading this would like to get involved then drop me a line :)

Cheers M

[quote name='jimbobothy' timestamp='1402328445' post='2472235']
I think it's all pretty cool and a different take with the electronic beats n all. I think the combo of them with the jazz improv give it a nice twist B)
[/quote]

Cheers fella - yeah having live improv / playing over the top of the backing definitely adds a new dimension to it - and with the trumpet/sax going into the mix and then using the delays and reverbs as part of the over all mix is so cool - hence the reason to create this kind of 'soundscape' + sound-system - it went down really well on the night so the audience completely got the idea and it translated well from rehearsal to live performance... more soon hopefully

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1402467522' post='2473718']
Hey Mike.....
I keep forgetting about this sub forum and have only just noticed this thread.
This looks like an interesting and fun project, and does sound good.
Excellent soundscape ideas.
[/quote]

Thanks Garry - the cool thing with working in Ableton is the dividing line between studio and stage is very thin indeed - most of the music in this 'set' was created in rehearsal and I've subsequently built in it and added various things - it massively speeds up the decision making process. Mixing it all with live playing - none of it massively rehearsed bar the melodies and it's a very fluid and exciting way to work... need a couple more gigs now but it's coming together.

Thanks for checking it out :)

Mike

Dude! I LOVE this!

As someone who has an abiding love of Ibiza chill-out music and is just coming to appreciate Jazz this is just up my street. I will definitely have to check you guys out live sometime (although your playing has just taken my Ego outside and given it a damn good kicking). :(

[quote name='Chris Sharman' timestamp='1403045253' post='2479305']
Dude! I LOVE this!

As someone who has an abiding love of Ibiza chill-out music and is just coming to appreciate Jazz this is just up my street. I will definitely have to check you guys out live sometime (although your playing has just taken my Ego outside and given it a damn good kicking). :(
[/quote]

Thanks Chris - I really appreciate your comments - this is still in early stages and I'm trying to develop it more without it becoming cheesy dance music but with a bit more edge to it and some meatier bass and drums - but it's a lot of fun and the horn players are wicked and I think the live playing makes a massive difference to it not being just all loops etc.

Anyway - thanks for checking it all out :)