Why become a member? ×

Hartke 4.5 xl vs eighty quid used transporter.

cclowend

So, my hartke 4.5xl lasted about two months before blowing a driver. The 115xl is doing fine. So I could carry on gigging I found a battered old 4x10 Hartke transporter and sadly.......I prefer the sound. Its battered to be fair but I have straightened, painted and added spacers to the grill, re-wired it and put a new decal on it. It looks mega. Its also about a third lighter and smaller than the 4.5!!!! Why did they discontinue it?

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1398978036' post='2439730']
Don't mention Hartke to me. My Kilo is a piece of dog crap and has spent more time being repaired than sitting on top of my cabs. Biggest waste of money I ever spent.
[/quote]

Sorry to hear it has given you so much grief. It's an isolated incident, but I can understand how frustrating it is. I've been using Hartke gear for well over 15 years and have been trouble free.

[quote name='cclowend' timestamp='1398796150' post='2437723']
Nah, its deffo electrical as it does it between songs.
[/quote]

It buzzes between songs? When you are not playing you mean? - If it does that it would suggest it's not the cabinet, more like something else in the signal path.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1399297246' post='2442825']
It buzzes between songs? When you are not playing you mean? - If it does that it would suggest it's not the cabinet, more like something else in the signal path.
[/quote]
True, a cab will only cause a buzz if you put a signal in to rattle it. A permanent buzz will originate elsewhere.

Feedback?

I think what would be really handy - as we could really do with understanding what noise you are getting and in what circumstances, is to record an audio clip clearly and upload it. Buzzing and Feedback are two different things so it's a bit confusing!

Yep definitely not a problem with the cabinet. Your bass pickup is picking up mains noise from your amp sat on top of the cabinet. The tweeter in the cabinet allows you to hear that noise more clearly. It's completely normal and some basses will pickup more noise than others. You'll sometimes get the same problem playing under strip lights with basses with non humbucking pickups. So nothing is blown by the sounds of it. Your bass is just very good at picking up noise in the room and your cabinet is very good at reproducing a wide range of frequencies, including those with noise in.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1399466998' post='2444489']
Yep definitely not a problem with the cabinet. Your bass pickup is picking up mains noise from your amp sat on top of the cabinet. The tweeter in the cabinet allows you to hear that noise more clearly. It's completely normal and some basses will pickup more noise than others. You'll sometimes get the same problem playing under strip lights with basses with non humbucking pickups. So nothing is blown by the sounds of it. Your bass is just very good at picking up noise in the room and your cabinet is very good at reproducing a wide range of frequencies, including those with noise in.
[/quote]
This supports my theory that the concept of tweeters in bass cabs was invented by Satan :crazy: