Why become a member? ×

To rack or not to rack

Black Coffee

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1409744067' post='2542831']
I think that answers my question. I didn't realise that they had cushioning built in
[/quote]

I carry my own gear these days so these aren't heavy duty cases, just the camera typre ones from Maplin.

I have a 3u rack case with my GK MB Fusion and a Korg PitchPro tuner. Into the case also goes my microphone, speaker cables (already connected to the amp), channel footswitch and even my guitar stand (one of those little wooden ones). Whilst I lose some of benefits of the lightweight amp, the convenience and protection to the gear are well worth it. To echo someone else's comment above, I'm not entirely convinced about using the PitchPro yet - both from having to turn my back to tune up, and also, frankly, it's just not as good a tuner as my Sonic Research, but again the convenience and practicality are winning me over. I have short power cables for the amp and tuner plugged into a two-way to which I've attached a short lead and power socket and velcroed to the inside of the case. I then use a standard kettle lead to run to power (kettle lead stays in the rack too),

Edited by Kirky

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1409742987' post='2542813']
Probably a silly question, but how much shock protection do racks provide? If the amp is bolted directly onto the rigid box with no cushioning, how does it protect against impacts?
[/quote]

It will protect the amp from 'mechanical damage' of direct impacts with other objects in the back of the van/car etc but not from the shock of the impact. You can however, get shock mounted racks where the rack inner is isolated from the rack outer either by a layer of foam or by rubber suspension mounts. Mine has the isolating foam like this

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JPJ/media/006-3.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/JPJ/006-3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]