Why become a member? ×

BC Rich Mockingbird?

charic

I'm looking at the possibility of selling off my MIM strat and getting myself a BC Rich Mockingbird (possibly changing out the pickups at a slightly later date) and was wondering if anyone here had opinions on the BC Rich STQ? Looking for something higher gain than my strat and a little more suited towards the metal genre :)

I had a BC Rich Classic Exotic Bich a while back, very nice guitar, very well made (MIK), stunning spalted maple veneer top & cloud inlays, but came with ceramic magnet humbuckers (BDSM?), which to my ears were somewhat harsh.

Bought a set of handmade Alnico V HotPAF's from Bulldog, which smoothed the sound out brilliantly, but ultimately, with a maple through neck, it lacked the "bite" of a mahogany neck/body. Plenty of initial "bark", which would be ideal in a 2 guitar lineup, paired with an LP/SG or similar mahogany bodied guitar. As the band I was in was a 3 piece, I needed a "fuller" sound, so I went back to the mahogany bodied guitar.

Would I have another? Like a shot (if I could afford it that is, and if it had a mahogany through neck).

The STQ looks excellent on paper, and if you can get it cheap enough, probably worth spending the extra cash on a pair of handmade pickups from one of the many excellent manufacturer's that have sprung up over the last few years.

Well as a bit of a dream theater fan I was thinking of dropping a dimarzio crunchlab into the bridge and dimarzio liquifire into the neck if and when funds allowed :lol:

The funny thing is... I can barely play guitar really :lol:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1398249347' post='2431999']The funny thing is... I can barely play guitar really :lol:[/quote]

That never stopped anyone buying a BC Rich... :lol:

Pickups-wise, guess a lot depends on what amp you're using, and what sort of sound you're after. If you're using a modeller, then "off the shelf" pickups sound fine, if you're using a decent valve amp, then something with a bit more "zing" might be needed. I always found machine made pickups (SD's/Gibson's/DiM's/etc) sounded a tad "life-less", even with amp modellers, and especially with valve amps.

Anyway, I'd say go for it, that STQ Mockingbird's a great looking guitar, and should be quite versatile if you can think beyond the brand reputation.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an old Mocking Bird some time ago, got it for my girlfriend at the time (now ex) it was one of the cheaper hard tail versions and to be honest is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played, I can't play guitar for toffee either lol

I played heavy metal on my strat with vintage pickups. I get much better gain with low output pickups and boosting gain on amp, certainly enough for Motorhead, Zakk Wylde, Megadeth etc. I have had Korean BC Rich Mockingbird and Warlock Platinum Pros. Good guitars overall, although i found the Mockingbird to sit on the strap slightly off centre and harder to play.

• 1 month later...