Why become a member? ×

Groove Tubes Fat Finger

acidbass

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. By changing the weight and distribution of mass in the neck it is possible to move the dead spots. However there is no guarantee that you will get rid of all of them or that you won't actually make the problem worse. Personally I'd either get a new neck or a different bass.

I use one on my fender p. It's got the classic deadspot around the d on the g string. The fat finger depending on where I put it on the headstock seems to either lessen (not cure)the problem, or move it +/- a couple of frets. It's not complete snake-oil and is deffo worth a try, but I'm sure you could find some sort of small clamp in a hardware shop for a fraction of the price.

I have one on my 2003 highway1 jazz which had a deadspot at the 5th fret of the G string. The fatfinger worked. Before buying it I checked that it would work by using a tiny cast iron g-clamp from the pound shop. I since fitted hipshot vintage style tuners to the bass including a D-tuner which also seemed to help due to their increased mass.

My case is same as booboo and JLP - deadspot on a Squier VMJ around 5th fret of G string. It does exactly as BRX says. Requires a bit of playing around as results vary depending on whereabouts on the headstock you place it. I found a spot which made the deadspot effectively go away (it only shifted it but was much less noticeable). I also found that resting the palm of your fretting hand against the neck under the deadspot when fretting that note can have the same effect. Hand shape is a little awkward but it does the same thing by adding mass to the neck and changing the resonant frequency. In the end I sold the VMJ. I still have the fat finger though, it's a handy thing to have in the parts box!