Why become a member? ×

'Upgrading' from Ibanez EDB500 to SR500?

ReeV0

Hey guys,

I've owned my Ibanez EDB500 for many years and I kinda feel like I want to change it. It's great to play but I've never been too keen on the sound, probably due to the luthite body.

I've been watching this Ibanez SR500 on ebay, not too much money but was wondering if it was worth the upgrade? I can't really see much difference other than body material and passive vs active pickups.

Do you think it would be worth it? Or should I just wait a while longer till I can afford something better?

Thanks for any advice :)

I have no answer for your question, but in my mind it all comes down to how "exciting" you want to live.
If you want security, then keep the EDB, and buy the SR in addition. Play them for say half a year, and then decide which has to go.
If you want to live exciting, then simply ditch both and get a Bongo 6-HH or something pointy and nasty. :)

I've read that body material has some, but probably less effect on tone than you might imagine and just as important are neck construction (single piece or multi-layer construction and type of wood used, bolt-on or set-in or neck-through design - all of which affect stiffness), choice of pickup, type of tone control, active or passive electronics and string choice and last but not least how you play...

So how can you tell if the SR500 will have the sound that you're after? Go for it if you've already heard one played or had your hands on one and like what you hear. If you don't like the EDB500 (too clinical? lacking character?) then you might like to have a complete change of type/manufacturer and I can think of something that will offer you bags of character... a Precision...