Why become a member? ×

Warwick Corvette $$

Matt_UK

LoL, good point Sy

I think theyve made a boo boo...

They mustve done!? Oh well, all will be revealed tomorrow and if theyre lucky, I might place an order...(although this depends on if I need a new pc as my power supply shorted and exploded on Tuesday :)).

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='242648' date='Jul 18 2008, 12:58 PM']LoL, good point Sy

I think theyve made a boo boo...

They mustve done!? Oh well, all will be revealed tomorrow and if theyre lucky, I might place an order...(although this depends on if I need a new pc as my power supply shorted and exploded on Tuesday :)).[/quote]
So you're having a good week then :huh: Hope you get the bass you want....remember the quest isn't over yet!!! :huh:

Hi guys, went to Absolute on Saturday

They gave me the worst reason ever for a price increase of £150, due to "inflation" apparently. Which can up prices by 20% in 3 weeks. Apparently. What a load of balls. I was so disappointed with them and their service, felt like I was being sold a dodgy motor...

So the new price for the $$ is apparently £845 as Warwick have put up the trade price and I was told that if any company was selling it cheaper than this, they would be making a loss...strange to see that almost every site on the net has it at a cheaper price than that...

I was fuming, so probably wont buy anything from them unless they miraculously sell me what I want at the right price!

So the search goes on! Gonna see if some 'net companies will price match the best price I've seen! :)

Matt

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='244260' date='Jul 21 2008, 09:39 AM']I would recommend just getting a secondhand Warwick, you could get much better then a new $$ for that cash, I got a Thumb BO for less, and it's a whole new level when compared to the $$ (as said before, I owned one of them too).[/quote]

I have been thinking about it...I know how cheap things are secondhand at the momento...The only thing is; I havent played any other high end warwicks, because I couldnt really afford one! So I'm really not sure if they have the sound I want! Obviously, this depends on the body wood, pup config, electronics, everything and I dont have enough experience in that :)

If anyone has any advice, or pointers, it would be greatly appreciated :huh:!

Matt

I had a Thumb BO 5. Beautiful instrument (they look much better in the flesh), but weird balance (horizontal, some call it neck dive), and a very unique sound. I didn't like much how the high notes sounded especially when popping, but the lows were incredible. Bucketloads of thick low mids and definition. Very heavy too for such a small body.

I've heard the 4 string has better balance. Definitely a try before you buy, and with a strap.

I also had a Corvette $$ for a while, after trying a 4 string I liked very much. But was a bit dissapointed by the B (that was after the Thumb, so there was really no competition :)). The Thumb is a heavy metal machine and has great lows that complement heavy downtuned guitars. It's good for other stuff too.

[url="http://www.warwick.de/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6356"]http://www.warwick.de/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6356[/url]

That's typical thumb sound (with highs cut a bit).

my 20 pence.

Thanks for that Robin

Thats a tonne of information, really helpful :)! I dont know, there's just something about the thumbs that are a bit...aesthetically strange... I think its that lower stubby horn, havent really been attracted to any I've seen. I dont play metal too frequently, so maybe the thumb isnt for me...I have been looking at the Streamers a lot but there seem to be many models in the 2nd hand section, some discontinued and some really cheap...

Are there any real lemons/unpopular models I should look out for? (Not just Streamers, but any Warwicks :huh:)
What are the benefits of the Streamers over Corvettes/Thumbs etc?
Which pickup configuration (in your opinion) is the best for you on the 'Wicks? (Ive seen too many different combos and havent heard nearly enough)

Sorry to unleash some really crap questions, I know its all subjective and its a big ask and I would have to try them all really but I was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to gimme some pointers :huh:!

Thankeee in advance!

Matt

Edited by Matt_UK

There are some nice basses in the bass centre sale......

[url="http://www.basscentre.com/categories.asp?cID=74"]http://www.basscentre.com/categories.asp?cID=74[/url]

And I must add that I don't play metal either, but the thumb growl sits well in the mix with a hip hop band that goes rocky sometimes.

On my $$ I found the 2 pick-ups got in my way a lot, I preferred the normal Corvette I had (although they both had a big chunky neck).

The price of second-hand streamers is a joke right now, so take advantage of that!

Edited by thedontcarebear

I would near in mind that Warwick along with Sandberg, AER, TREX and loads of european makes have had to increase their prices in the UK due to the exchange rate of the Euro to the pound. If you check the price list on the Warwick website it has increased 3 times so far this year, Warwick are probably making the same margins but the UK price has had to increase unfortunately for them to make the same amount in Euros. Rubbish from a customer point of view but thats the economy :-(

On the plus side things are really going cheap on the second hand market at the moment. If you have money in your pocket you can really get some bargains out there!

Edited by jonno1981

[quote name='jonno1981' post='244428' date='Jul 21 2008, 01:46 PM']I would near in mind that Warwick along with Sandberg, AER, TREX and loads of european makes have had to increase their prices in the UK due to the exchange rate of the Euro to the pound. If you check the price list on the Warwick website it has increased 3 times so far this year, Warwick are probably making the same margins but the UK price has had to increase unfortunately for them to make the same amount in Euros. Rubbish from a customer point of view but thats the economy :-(

On the plus side things are really going cheap on the second hand market at the moment. If you have money in your pocket you can really get some bargains out there![/quote]

Thats the reasoning I was given at Absolute, it just doesnt seem fair and seems to be an extortionate increase...

Im beginning to lean towards the 2nd hand market a lot more, but I know very little about many of the Warwicks on sale, especially the Streamers etc; hence my post up there ^

Blah...damn that economy :)!

The corvette $$ is a nice bass, worth the money. The streamers are more expensive due to the contoured body (harder to machine) andf they are in general neckthrough. I dont know any bad warwick model tbh. They are all solid quality and each pretty unique compared to the other manuafcturers. It's a love / hate thing.

The Streamer Stage 1 is brighter (maple bass), less low-mid oriented than the others, the Thumb is a very peculiar beast, the corvettes are the meat and potatoes of the line. The corvette standard bubinga has more attack and sharpness than the ash version, which is mellower and more fender-like. The $$ is a great sort of 'swiss' army knife' and then some. The jazzmans are similar in some way, but I'd prefer a $$. They all come with strap locks as standard, and the gigbag is well padded.

imo, things that are not so good in general with warwicks are their passive pickups (not a fan of the mecs they are a bit bland), the jan2 nut is fragile and the string spacing on the 5ers is on the tight side. In general, they are on the heavy side (heavy woods). The finish is stained so light, and the natural models require regular maintenance. The neck profile is relatively thick (which doesn't bother me).

You can get great deals on them second hand. Two models of my interest, the corvette $$ neckthrough, and the old Streamer pro-m.

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='244834' date='Jul 21 2008, 09:27 PM']The corvette $$ is a nice bass, worth the money. The streamers are more expensive due to the contoured body (harder to machine) andf they are in general neckthrough. I dont know any bad warwick model tbh. They are all solid quality and each pretty unique compared to the other manuafcturers. It's a love / hate thing.

The Streamer Stage 1 is brighter (maple bass), less low-mid oriented than the others, the Thumb is a very peculiar beast, the corvettes are the meat and potatoes of the line. The corvette standard bubinga has more attack and sharpness than the ash version, which is mellower and more fender-like. The $$ is a great sort of 'swiss' army knife' and then some. The jazzmans are similar in some way, but I'd prefer a $$. They all come with strap locks as standard, and the gigbag is well padded.

imo, things that are not so good in general with warwicks are their passive pickups (not a fan of the mecs they are a bit bland), the jan2 nut is fragile and the string spacing on the 5ers is on the tight side. In general, they are on the heavy side (heavy woods). The finish is stained so light, and the natural models require regular maintenance. The neck profile is relatively thick (which doesn't bother me).

You can get great deals on them second hand. Two models of my interest, the corvette $$ neckthrough, and the old Streamer pro-m.[/quote]

Wow Robin, thats a huge amount of info

Easily the most understandable, comprehensive lowdown of all the basses I've seen :)! Thank you soooo much! :huh:!

I think if I was to buy secondhand it would have to be a Corvette FNA Jazzman, they look beautiful but I'll keep my eye out for any $$ neckthrough's as I know they're rather popular!

One quick question to anyone: If you were in my position (with the current state of the economy etc) would you buy a new $$ for around £700 ish, or wait (possibly a long time) for something incredible (i.e, SSI or FNA Jazzman) to turn up secondhand for the same mooolah?

Just a hypothetical quesssie :huh:!

Hope youre all ok

Thankyou all for your posts so far! Keep em coming!

Looks like my search is going to go on a bit longer...

Matt

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='245609' date='Jul 22 2008, 07:10 PM']Wow Robin, thats a huge amount of info

Easily the most understandable, comprehensive lowdown of all the basses I've seen :)! Thank you soooo much! :huh:!

I think if I was to buy secondhand it would have to be a Corvette FNA Jazzman, they look beautiful but I'll keep my eye out for any $$ neckthrough's as I know they're rather popular!

One quick question to anyone: If you were in my position (with the current state of the economy etc) would you buy a new $$ for around £700 ish, or wait (possibly a long time) for something incredible (i.e, SSI or FNA Jazzman) to turn up secondhand for the same mooolah?

Just a hypothetical quesssie :huh:!

Hope youre all ok

Thankyou all for your posts so far! Keep em coming!

Looks like my search is going to go on a bit longer...

Matt[/quote]

I would say if you're in no hurry then I would hang fire and wait for a while, you never know what might crop up whether it be on here or Evilbay. I got my $$ and she is gorge. :huh:

Oooooh!

I'm soo glad you got your $$ in the end matey, she looks like a beaut! I hope you're very happy together hehehe! :) It might sound a bit weird, but cheap secondhand basses are a great result of the crap economy right now :wacko: LoL

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='245641' date='Jul 22 2008, 08:08 PM']Oooooh!

I'm soo glad you got your $$ in the end matey, she looks like a beaut! I hope you're very happy together hehehe! :) It might sound a bit weird, but cheap secondhand basses are a great result of the crap economy right now :wacko: LoL[/quote]

+1 on that!!

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='245641' date='Jul 22 2008, 08:08 PM']Oooooh!

I'm soo glad you got your $$ in the end matey, she looks like a beaut! I hope you're very happy together hehehe! :) It might sound a bit weird, but cheap secondhand basses are a great result of the crap economy right now :wacko: LoL[/quote]

+1 on that!!

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='245609' date='Jul 22 2008, 07:10 PM']One quick question to anyone: If you were in my position (with the current state of the economy etc) would you buy a new $$ for around £700 ish, or wait (possibly a long time) for something incredible (i.e, SSI or FNA Jazzman) to turn up secondhand for the same mooolah?[/quote]
I'd try and track down a Thumb from before around 1992. Some JD Thumbs have been going for prices only a bit above that £700.

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='245609' date='Jul 22 2008, 07:10 PM']One quick question to anyone: If you were in my position (with the current state of the economy etc) would you buy a new $$ for around £700 ish, or wait (possibly a long time) for something incredible (i.e, SSI or FNA Jazzman) to turn up secondhand for the same mooolah?

Matt[/quote]

Very good question!

The market for used Warwicks is very poor (for sellers) at the moment. You can pick up used Streamers and even Thumbs for well under the cost of a new Corvette $$.

On the other hand, the $$ is a very different beast to the Streamer and Thumb.

Incidentally, Reverb in Birmingham (the old Sound Control) have got a new Streamer in at under £700 at the moment - presumably they're looking to shift some old stock. You might want to give that a look if you're nearby. I would have been very tempted if I hadn't just got myself a used Thumb!

[quote name='simondee' post='246079' date='Jul 23 2008, 01:48 PM']what are people's opinions of the Streamer Pro-Ms?

would it be much 'better' than my corvette standard?[/quote]

I think it depends on what you mean by better - the Streamer obviously has a different pickup configuration, its got a countoured maple body and, I think, a maple neck. So it will feel and sound different - whether its better is largely a subjective thing.

I think with any Warwick you're going to get a very well made instrument - which is best is a matter of personal preference. Personally I prefer the look and feel of the Corvette.

[quote name='simon1964' post='246012' date='Jul 23 2008, 12:34 PM']Very good question!

The market for used Warwicks is very poor (for sellers) at the moment. You can pick up used Streamers and even Thumbs for well under the cost of a new Corvette $$.

On the other hand, the $$ is a very different beast to the Streamer and Thumb.

Incidentally, Reverb in Birmingham (the old Sound Control) have got a new Streamer in at under £700 at the moment - presumably they're looking to shift some old stock. You might want to give that a look if you're nearby. I would have been very tempted if I hadn't just got myself a used Thumb![/quote]

Cheers for the advice Simon :huh:

I've found a stocklist for Sound Control of all their stock at the moment, but I cant see the Streamer at £700 on there...is it instore only? As theyre going through a rebranding at the momento (and im in Dorset :)) I cant get on their full website or visit their shop :huh:

Do you have any way I can see it, or a link I could visit?

Sorry to be vague! Sounds like a stonking bass :huh:

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='246423' date='Jul 23 2008, 09:29 PM']Cheers for the advice Simon :huh:

I've found a stocklist for Sound Control of all their stock at the moment, but I cant see the Streamer at £700 on there...is it instore only? As theyre going through a rebranding at the momento (and im in Dorset :)) I cant get on their full website or visit their shop :huh:

Do you have any way I can see it, or a link I could visit?

Sorry to be vague! Sounds like a stonking bass :huh:[/quote]

It won't be on the Sound Control stock list as they went bust a few weeks back. Some of the stores have been taken over and re-branded / re-opened as Reverb, which is what's happened in Brum. They used to stock a few Warwicks there, but only had a couple in when I popped in this lunchtime, including the Streamer and, I think, a Jazzman. As I say, I suspect they're trying to shift some old Sound Control stock.

You could give them a call on teh number here: [url="http://www.reverb-store.co.uk/"]http://www.reverb-store.co.uk/[/url]. They don't have the new site up and running yet, but cotnact details are on there.

Its very good value if its still in there!