Why become a member? ×

Warwick Corvette $$

Matt_UK

Hi guys

Been looking on the forum for ages and couldn't find a post that helped me...so sorry if its been asked before!

I'm on the brink of getting a Corvette $$ buuuuut, one thing is holding me back from ordering!

Which oil stain finish should I go for?!

I'm not sure I prefer the coloured finishes, nirvana black seems a little common and some of the other colours seem a bit garish (blue, green, red). I love the Natural Oil finish and would get that, however I am concerned about the amount of waxing you have to do (whereas the coloured finishes don't need waxing afaik).

I'm tempted by the Tobacco, Honey and Orange finishes, though I haven't seen any examples of these and the small examples on the 'Wick website are hard to imagine on a full bass...!

If anyone has any advice/pictures then I'd love to hear it!

Many thanks in advance

Matty

P.S; is waxing/caring for the natural finish a bit of a chore or is it easy to do?

Thanks again :) !

Edited by Matt_UK

Tobacco is nice, especially with the ovankol / wenge neck. If you like natural-ish colours without the maintenance, I'd go for that (I almost did, but went for red. silly).

Honey violin is too orange for my taste.

Waxing can be a bit of a chore, especially if you want to be thorough (wax between the pickups, pots, bridge...). I dont mind it myself but I can see some do.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

Thanks for the quick reply Si!

They look amazing and feel incredible to play, I love the slap tone and the versatility...was going to get an '08 American Standard Jazz, just thought I'd try a Warwick (a Corvette Passive/Active) and was convinced...then tried a $$ and was blown away!

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='239165' date='Jul 14 2008, 02:10 PM']Hi guys

Which oil stain finish should I go for?!

P.S; is waxing/caring for the natural finish a bit of a chore or is it easy to do?[/quote]

I prefer the natural swamp ash colour on Warwicks, comes up beautiful after waxing, and to be honest I find the waxing very soothing :)

[quote name='Monz' post='239181' date='Jul 14 2008, 02:25 PM']I find the waxing very soothing :)[/quote]

LoL, I can imagine it is quite nice to just sit there cleaning it...

I think the natural finish does look good, is it worth getting the high gloss polished natural finish?

I did quite a lot of research and playing of Warwicks before I dived in and bought one..

The reason behind me just getting the natural finish was that if the bass gets grubby or dinged judicious use of an Iron and some brown paper will pull the ding back out and zero grade wire wool sorts the finish out a treat. Waxing regular is the key though, and although Warwick supply their own wax with the bass there are better cleaning beeswax products out there to keep it looking spik n span.

The Warwick forums off their main site is a fabulous source of info and tips and tricks

Just buy it and enjoy the GROWL lol

[quote name='Monz' post='239195' date='Jul 14 2008, 02:39 PM']I did quite a lot of research and playing of Warwicks before I dived in and bought one..

The reason behind me just getting the natural finish was that if the bass gets grubby or dinged judicious use of an Iron and some brown paper will pull the ding back out and zero grade wire wool sorts the finish out a treat. Waxing regular is the key though, and although Warwick supply their own wax with the bass there are better cleaning beeswax products out there to keep it looking spik n span.

The Warwick forums off their main site is a fabulous source of info and tips and tricks

Just buy it and enjoy the GROWL lol[/quote]

Ive been dreaming about that sound since I tried it a few weeks ago...

Do you need to keep waxing it every week for all eternity? I read the manual on the 'wick site and it said that after a while it builds up a layer so you have to wax it less. Obviously this time period depends on how much you play etc, how many times do you wax it a month Monz?

I'm always reaaaally wary of ironing or wire wooling basses, can anything seriously go wrong (i.e burning/scoring/singeing/seriously damaging it/being accused of being a pyromaniac :) )?

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='239175' date='Jul 14 2008, 02:18 PM']Waxing can be a bit of a chore, especially if you want to be thorough (wax between the pickups, pots, bridge...). I dont mind it myself but I can see some do.[/quote]

Is 10-15 mins really that taxing every 6 months? :)

Edited by benwhiteuk

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='239176' date='Jul 14 2008, 02:19 PM']...was going to get an '08 American Standard Jazz, just thought I'd try a Warwick (a Corvette Passive/Active) and was convinced...then tried a $$ and was blown away![/quote]

Definately a good choice. I've got a US Standard Jazz which is very nice, but the $$ does Jazz sounds plus a lot more. Mine has become my main gigging bass.

And as for waxing, I wouldn't let that put you off. With hindsight, I would have gone for the natural ash - I suspect I would rather enjoy waxing it every month or two!

[quote name='simon1964' post='239221' date='Jul 14 2008, 03:06 PM']Definately a good choice. I've got a US Standard Jazz which is very nice, but the $$ does Jazz sounds plus a lot more. Mine has become my main gigging bass.[/quote]

I know the Jazz has a unique sound and I love the fact that a Jazz sound is really only done perfectly by a Jazz, but its so much more expensive due to taxes etc over here and I can't justify the extra mooolah over the $$ :)

Saying all this, I still need to own a Jazz one day...Hugh Manson (of Mansons Guitar Shop in Exeter) said so :huh:.

Mine gets gigged once a week and played every day and I wax it once a month, I've only had to take one ding out and only stripped it back with wire wool once in the 7 years I've owned it.

Oh and btw... Last Saturday we played outside in a marquee and it was bloody freezing cold, I tuned once before each set (2 sets) and both of the guitarists were all over the place lol

Thanks for that Monz, great tips :)

LoL, wicked to hear the 'wicks can survive sub-zero temperatures :huh:!

Do you mean the guitarists' tuning was all over the place? Or they were just having a prog-jazz moment? lmao :huh:

Edited by Matt_UK

[quote name='Monz' post='239195' date='Jul 14 2008, 02:39 PM']The reason behind me just getting the natural finish was that if the bass gets grubby or dinged judicious use of an Iron and some brown paper will pull the ding back out[/quote]
Never seen that mentioned before. Could you tell me - what's the technique, what can it fix, and does it apply to any natural finish wood?

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='239299' date='Jul 14 2008, 04:54 PM']I wish they made transprent white finish.[/quote]

Have you seen the Custom Shop Streamer #210?

[url="http://warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/NewsCustomShop.php?paging=true&page=2&limit=8&modell=Streamer&finder=&cl=EN"]http://warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/News...nder=&cl=EN[/url]

That is one hot bass... :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='239305' date='Jul 14 2008, 04:59 PM']The honey violin is a nice colour in the flesh, as it were. Same stain colour as on my Triumph upright in my avatar. (See left!)[/quote]

Here's a Honey Violin Streamer LX. Should give you a good idea...

[quote name='Jesus' post='240086' date='Jul 15 2008, 02:42 PM']Are the Corvette Standard and $$ as heavy, and uncomfortable as what a lot of people say? With a nice wide comfy strap i find it hard to believe any bass can get "heavy" over your average gig set.[/quote]

Mine is heavier than my Precision, but lighter than my Jazz. I would say they're very comfortable - more comfortable than the typical Fender shape as it seems to fit the body. What is ''comfortable'' is very much a personal thing though, so you would really need to try one.

I know the Bubinga Standard is one of the heaviest, weighing in at a metric tonne.

But the Ash is lighter in weight and has a slightly brighter tone imo...I found the Bubinga a bit "muddy". I've only had a little play on them thus far, so not sure how they hold up over a set :)