Why become a member? ×

Chicago garage, House???

bubinga5

Hey people does anyone listen to house??? Chicago garage especially........Was listening to some house music today and was digging the bass playing..Im not talking judge jules or stuff like that, this was Masters at Work and Marshall Jefferson, Frankie Knuckles..The groove was amazing, and REAL bass playing. Im a big fan of Masters at Works cuts of Incognitos stuff..I couldnt tell you who was playing but it was bad ass!!

Any one dig?

[quote name='bubinga5' post='238199' date='Jul 12 2008, 09:20 PM']Hey people does anyone listen to house??? Chicago garage especially........Was listening to some house music today and was digging the bass playing..Im not talking judge jules or stuff like that, this was Masters at Work and Marshall Jefferson, Frankie Knuckles..The groove was amazing, and REAL bass playing. Im a big fan of Masters at Works cuts of Incognitos stuff..I couldnt tell you who was playing but it was bad ass!!

Any one dig?[/quote]

Any videos or links at all man?

Yes I'm a massive fan of this stuff - Gene Perez rules! I've jammed along to this stuff for years now - and MAW's remixes actually make great listening too with loads of additional parts added - especially on the bass - Perez's b-lines are supremely cool - busy but always grooving.

Good shout.

M

[quote name='urb' post='238236' date='Jul 12 2008, 10:27 PM']Yes I'm a massive fan of this stuff - Gene Perez rules! I've jammed along to this stuff for years now - and MAW's remixes actually make great listening too with loads of additional parts added - especially on the bass - Perez's b-lines are supremely cool - busy but always grooving.

Good shout.

M[/quote]
Thanks URB for letting me know about Gene Perez!! its nice to know whos playing. I recently met Jonathan Maron from Groove Collective,who is an amazing bass player.. He said he used to practice to this sort of funky house..Also when you mix Gospel which house you get Andrew Gouche..I say no more.!!!!
!!!!
Can you let me know more about Gene Perez URB.. :)

YES Gene Perez!
He' also my friend on myspace, maybe he will be yours aswell! :)
[url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=60340960"]Gene[/url]

I think has been talked about on here when the site was first started.

He had a write up in Bass Player quite a few years ago.

I also practice along and over this sort of music just trying out grooves or soloing as it is normally a static chord. Johnathon was great when I saw him with Groove Collective a few years ago.

[quote name='urb' post='238236' date='Jul 12 2008, 10:27 PM']Yes I'm a massive fan of this stuff - Gene Perez rules! I've jammed along to this stuff for years now[/quote]
Y'beat me to it. :)

Gene Perez is kind of like the NY equivalent of Julian Crampton in London - the industry's first call funk/house session bass player, primarily by association with a known producer. For Julian Crampton it was Joey Negro, for Gene Perez it was Louis Benedetti. Gene has his musical roots in latin music if I'm not mistaken? I've seen one clip of him playing on Youtube:

Whats interesting is Gene's close working relationship with a keyboardist - I can identify with that approach quite closely myself.