Why become a member? ×

Recording to your computer

Brother Jones

[quote name='noisedude' post='238038' date='Jul 12 2008, 04:35 PM']Yeah obviously it'll sound a bit rubbish but for getting ideas down that will work. Audacity is a good editor/basic sequencer and for something very special go to Reaper.fm and download multi-track awesomeness.[/quote]
I actually got a pretty decent sound out of it that way, but that's probably down to my MM preamp, it always sounded rubbish with my old passive basses.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='238083' date='Jul 12 2008, 05:27 PM']I actually got a pretty decent sound out of it that way, but that's probably down to my MM preamp, it always sounded rubbish with my old passive basses.[/quote]
Yeah it'll definitely be less bad with a higher output bass ... although with the impedance mismatch and terribly cheap preamp it's never going to be great compared to even a £40 USB audio interface!!

Unless you're recording 'garage rock' of course - I recently had someone bring me an entire album recorded on the built-in mic on a Macbook. He was aiming to sound like early Pavement and, apart from the songs being less good and him not being a stoner, it sort of did. :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='238083' date='Jul 12 2008, 05:27 PM']I actually got a pretty decent sound out of it that way, but that's probably down to my MM preamp, it always sounded rubbish with my old passive basses.[/quote]
Spot on: [b]Line In[/b] ports are low impedance, meaning that they will overload passive pickups and suck the life out of the signal. A signal going to Line In must be electrically buffered somehow: through a preamp or FX pedal ought to be enough, or use the output from a multi-FX or amp simulator.

[b]Mic[/b] ports on the other hand are high impedance, but can sound awful because they go to the opposite extreme: too much gain. You might get that to work if you turn the Mic gain down.

+1 for [url="http://audacity.sourceforge.net/"]Audacity[/url] too - does the job nicely at the price. :)